Contribute
Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My M1 Mini gives me the option to use default or large menu bar in Big Sur. Found under "Accessibility".Have to log out for it to take effect.
It also gives me the option to choose the resolution displayed under "Displays". Can use Default or choose from scaled options.

My M1 Mini gives me the option to use default or large menu bar in Big Sur. Found under "Accessibility".Have to log out for it to take effect.
It also gives me the option to choose the resolution displayed under "Displays". Can use Default or choose from scaled options.

I know. We tried logging out AND restarting and it didn’t make any difference. It’s like Apple sort of ignored the rash of very high resolution screens available in recent times. People don’t buy very expensive ultra high resolution screens just to have to reduce their resolution.

The menu bar size is acceptable if I cut the resolution back to 2560 x 1200. But, the difference between that and 3440 x 1440 is 1,881,600 pixels. The defeats the purpose and represents a reduction in pixel count of about 38%.

Okay, sorry I couldn't help.

Not a problem. I wonder if the fact that the monitor that my wife bought for her M1 is a bit of an unusual resolution comes into play? Apple sells large screens, but no ultra wide screens. I’ve heard that some people have had difficulty in getting the M1 systems to recognize the native resolutions of their ultra wide screens. Fortunately that is one problem that we didn’t have. Also, the fact that the Menu Bar Size adjustment is in Big Sur, and not Catalina, suggests that this was not something that they tried to address previously. In other words, it wasn’t a problem...

Also, the fact that the Menu Bar Size adjustment is in Big Sur, and not Catalina, suggests that this was not something that they tried to address previously. In other words, it wasn’t a problem...
I'm certain many of the devs at Apple use the Pro Display XDR which is 6K capable. That is probably where they discovered the menu bar issues and added the option to adjust it. I'm no fan of how the menu bar looks in Big Sur even when using a 1080p monitor. Much prefer the look of Catalina and older versions of the OS.

Quinn from Snazzy Labs took a look at the BS menu bar and proposes some fixes. Are they enough ? Not really.

I'm certain many of the devs at Apple use the Pro Display XDR which is 6K capable. That is probably where they discovered the menu bar issues and added the option to adjust it. I'm no fan of how the menu bar looks in Big Sur even when using a 1080p monitor. Much prefer the look of Catalina and older versions of the OS.

Quinn from Snazzy Labs took a look at the BS menu bar and proposes some fixes. Are they enough ? Not really.

The curious thing is that this goes back to Catalina 10.15.2 which means that Apple hasn’t really addressed the issue for well over a year.

I know. We tried logging out AND restarting and it didn’t make any difference. It’s like Apple sort of ignored the rash of very high resolution screens available in recent times. People don’t buy very expensive ultra high resolution screens just to have to reduce their resolution.

The menu bar size is acceptable if I cut the resolution back to 2560 x 1200. But, the difference between that and 3440 x 1440 is 1,881,600 pixels. The defeats the purpose and represents a reduction in pixel count of about 38%.

I'm assuming you're connecting via HDMI, as it has had issues. I got best results with an 18 Gbps cable but I'm still concerned about how it will work with a higher rez monitor. My Ultrawide is only 1080p and still, I have to be careful that I do updates with the monitor turned off, or it loses signal. Once I log in with my preferences then it works fine. You might try the highest speed cable you can get.

Also:

If the supported resolution isn’t available on an ultrawide or super-ultrawide external display connected to your Mac with Apple M1 chip​

If you connect an ultrawide or super-ultrawide monitor to your Mac with Apple M1 chip, some resolutions supported by your display may not be available.

Apple is aware of this issue and resolution is planned for a future macOS update.
To see the additional resolutions for your external display, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Displays, then press and hold the Option key while you click Scaled.
This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
Published Date: December 22, 2020

If the supported resolution isn’t available on an ultrawide or super-ultrawide external display connected to your Mac with Apple M1 chip - Apple Support

The cable used is the one that came with the monitor. It would seem unlikely that LG would supply an inferior cable. Functionally, the monitor is doing fine. Colors and resolution are fine. No ghosting, etc.

I read that about the resolution while we were waiting for the M1 to arrive, but it wasn’t a problem. The resolution is supported...

My 2p worth..

I have couple of Hackintosh's with the main one being a I9 9900K with 64Gb Ram, M2 drives and a Radeon VII video card. I built this machine to replace my old Mac Pro 6.1 12 core with D700's and the Hackintosh although not as nice looking was way quicker and I've been happy ....till now, I recently purchased a Mac mini M1 and I'm complete blown away with it, so much so I'm selling my Hackintosh. The Mac mini runs 3 monitors and a 15.9 XP pen display, its footprint is hell of a lot smaller than the Hackintosh, if I want to use it out of the office I just pop every thing in a laptop bag (except the monitors) and off I go, and for what I do its perfect (photoshop, AE, Wirecast, Screen flow, Indesign and FCP) I don't do high res 8k video editing or anything that seems to make it fault, and best of all is the cost, My main Hackintosh cost around £1800 when I built it over a year a go, A lot of money but it needed to replace my old Mac Pro 6.1 and buying the new Mac Pro was out of the question, as it happened I sold my old Mac which almost covered the cost of the Hackintosh, but the Mac mini was £820 second hand, so is the Hackintosh dead, no certainly not yet but the main reason for building one was the cost of a new Mac was just too high, this M1 chip seems to tipped the balance - well for me anyway.

My 2p worth..

I have couple of Hackintosh's with the main one being a I9 9900K with 64Gb Ram, M2 drives and a Radeon VII video card. I built this machine to replace my old Mac Pro 6.1 12 core with D700's and the Hackintosh although not as nice looking was way quicker and I've been happy ....till now, I recently purchased a Mac mini M1 and I'm complete blown away with it, so much so I'm selling my Hackintosh. The Mac mini runs 3 monitors and a 15.9 XP pen display, its footprint is hell of a lot smaller than the Hackintosh, if I want to use it out of the office I just pop every thing in a laptop bag (except the monitors) and off I go, and for what I do its perfect (photoshop, AE, Wirecast, Screen flow, Indesign and FCP) I don't do high res 8k video editing or anything that seems to make it fault, and best of all is the cost, My main Hackintosh cost around £1800 when I built it over a year a go, A lot of money but it needed to replace my old Mac Pro 6.1 and buying the new Mac Pro was out of the question, as it happened I sold my old Mac which almost covered the cost of the Hackintosh, but the Mac mini was £820 second hand, so is the Hackintosh dead, no certainly not yet but the main reason for building one was the cost of a new Mac was just too high, this M1 chip seems to tipped the balance - well for me anyway.

Factor in the current prices for video cards and it really doesn't make any sense to go hackintosh anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back