Contribute
Register

Is this the perfect Macbook pro substitute? everything working OOB except intel wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely, but wont dwell on it will use what works as the bios is very limited. anyway will work on it tomorrow evening maybe then I'll make a few more steps in the right direction.

My u430 BIOS is very picky about USB3 devices and booting. Certain USB3 keys seem to draw too much power. They won't work standalone, but will work from a powered USB hub. Other keys work just fine by themselves. BIOS implementations are buggy/quirky -- best to just get used to it.

Work so far, Audio Codec is ALC283 as dumped from ubuntu. However installing this via multibeast resulted in sound only working out of headphone jacks and very low. did not have the option of selecting output devices other than headphones. Microphone was not working. Currently using voodoo, sound form speakers works, headphone jack works and mic works too.
Bluetooth works without any fiddling with, though it annoys by always opening up after reboot looking for devices to pair.

Next step will be to patch dsdt for sound....

USB3 port doesnt work, universal USB3 fix in multibeast doesnt fix this. USB2 port works fine

installed ubuntu which then broke windows :banghead: so now going to fix windows.....strange as i set install bootloader to the ubuntu partition (root) dont know why it decided to mess with the windows... and keyboard doesnt work in ubuntu have to use usb keyboard....may remove ubuntu as i cant have issues in OSX plus ubuntu its not worth it.

boots from hard disk using clover so makes it easier no need to keep pressing F12.

I think I'll park the video issue for now until i can see some progress from more experienced people. injecting EDID did not do anything for improving graphics as it still flickers occasionally.

Work so far, Audio Codec is ALC283 as dumped from ubuntu. However installing this via multibeast resulted in sound only working out of headphone jacks and very low. did not have the option of selecting output devices other than headphones. Microphone was not working. Currently using voodoo, sound form speakers works, headphone jack works and mic works too.
Bluetooth works without any fiddling with, though it annoys by always opening up after reboot looking for devices to pair.

ALC283 is same as my u430. You can use the AppleHDA injector that is there: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

Requirements:
- layout-id 86, "IRQ Fix" DSDT patches (patching guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html)
- patches for AppleHDA in config.plist (copy from mine to yours)
- AppleHDA.kext vanilla
- AppleHDA_ALC283 installed to /S/L/E
- my fork of CodecCommander (installed to /S/L/E): https://github.com/RehabMan/EAPD-Codec-Commander
- rebuild cache procedure documented in my guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ideapad-u330-u430-u530-using-clover-uefi.html

USB3 port doesnt work, universal USB3 fix in multibeast doesnt fix this. USB2 port works fine

Avoid GenericUSBXHCI.kext. See my u430 for USB patches (patches/usb.txt).

installed ubuntu which then broke windows :banghead: so now going to fix windows.....strange as i set install bootloader to the ubuntu partition (root) dont know why it decided to mess with the windows... and keyboard doesnt work in ubuntu have to use usb keyboard....may remove ubuntu as i cant have issues in OSX plus ubuntu its not worth it.

Install everything UEFI. Easy to see boot file configuration on EFI partition...

I think I'll park the video issue for now until i can see some progress from more experienced people. injecting EDID did not do anything for improving graphics as it still flickers occasionally.

See here for early Broadwell work:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...hd-graphics-5500-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3-a.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/161591-intel-hd-graphics-5500-need-some-help.html

Will pick it up from here next weekend as I'm heading off for a week. Its so close to getting finished cant just let it go. in my opinion once i get the screen to work without any flickers at all then I'll be happy as everything else works well (except wifi..currently using Asus N10 micro USB AUD$13) as its a laptop only for watching video and internet surfing. Meanwhile reverting to Win8 from recovery image so I watch do my videos while away, OSX image will sit waiting for me to get back to it from where i left off. spent an hour removing bloatware from win8 Acer install image...:banghead:

Question on clover dual booting.

I have both Acer OEM win8.1 and OSX installed on GPT in UEFI mode. I used OSX to partition the drive into two with the Win partition as the first partition created as a “free space” partition and OSX as the second created as HFS+J. This allows windows to create EFI, MSR, Windows partition and a recovery one as well without issues. Installed OSX using a “createmedia” usb which also created RecoveryHD partition and boots ok.

Next used a WIN8 UEFI USB (non-Acer version) and installed to the free space a Win8 copy. Booted into win8 to the desktop. Next step was booted up the OEM Recovery USB and selected the Win8 partition and re-set my PC to it while selecting to keep existing partitions, this prevents windows from wiping the entire drive and creating the factory setting HDD and leaves OSX intact. Later deleted the win8 recovery partition. There was no other way I could figure to get the OEM version into the Win8 partition (possible to use a cloned image but this works out better I think).

This was necessary as I prefer win7 but win7 doesn’t play nice with the Wifi and LAN which become very very slow and stop working while online, also USB3 port does not work in win7, the track pad doesn’t work in win7, or works intermittently and finally there is one other hardware item that also doesn’t work and I was unable to determine what it was. All these are inspite of using drivers from the Acer website and getting windows to search for drivers. This is a big issue and makes the laptop experience very poor. In Non-Acer Win8 under UEFI, these issues persist, however trackpad is ok with synatics driver but an additional issue of DEVICE_ERROR XXXX and a BSOD arises…. As a result the only way was to use the OEM Win8 version and de-bloat it manually.

Anyway now I have win8 and OSX both installed and both working, however I’m having issues getting Clover to work well. Installed Clover to the EFI as per the guide including RC scripts to all drives. Went into EFI/Microsoft/boot and renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw_orig.efi and copied CLOVERX64.efi into the EFI/Microsoft/boot folder and named it bootmgfw.efi. Now the clover screen comes up and I can boot into OSX ok, but Win8 will not boot and only shows a HDD picture on screen. When I revert and restore the original bootmgfw.efi, pc boots directly into Win8 without showing clover. Also unlike some other Bios I have read about, the Clover EFi doesn’t show up in my boot order items in the bios.

Would appreciate some pointers here or link to how I can get this fixed, I’ve searched but come up with the same above procedure for renaming the bootmgfw file.... Perhaps a different set of eyes will see it different from me and can see the solution.
Thanks!

Question on clover dual booting.

I have both Acer OEM win8.1 and OSX installed on GPT in UEFI mode. I used OSX to partition the drive into two with the Win partition as the first partition created as a “free space” partition and OSX as the second created as HFS+J. This allows windows to create EFI, MSR, Windows partition and a recovery one as well without issues. Installed OSX using a “createmedia” usb which also created RecoveryHD partition and boots ok.

Windows will not create EFI in this scenario (EFI was already created by Disk Utility). And MSR partition is known to cause issues with OS X, so you'll want to avoid that or deleted it after.

Anyway now I have win8 and OSX both installed and both working, however I’m having issues getting Clover to work well. Installed Clover to the EFI as per the guide including RC scripts to all drives. Went into EFI/Microsoft/boot and renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw_orig.efi and copied CLOVERX64.efi into the EFI/Microsoft/boot folder and named it bootmgfw.efi.

Should be bootmgfw-orig.efi, not bootmgfw_orig.efi.

Windows will not create EFI in this scenario (EFI was already created by Disk Utility). And MSR partition is known to cause issues with OS X, so you'll want to avoid that or deleted it after.
Ok, Thanks for this info, I had assumed windows did this as I didnt check. good to know. will delete the MSR partition.

Should be bootmgfw-orig.efi, not bootmgfw_orig.efi.

didnt realise that the renaming would affect it, the guide i saw on another site showed underscore not hyphen. will fix this too and see results.
Thanks mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back