Contribute
Register

Is this the perfect Macbook pro substitute? everything working OOB except intel wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170-K
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Y'all,

Intel HD5500, Intel Core i5-5200U 5th Gen all working on laptop!!!!

REHABMAN and TONYMACX86 please read and assist if you can...

Tools used: terminal OS X media install, laptop install guide by RehabMan (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html) and nguyenmac (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...l-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html)though mine was a mishmash of both.

Today, I have the just completed a three day experiment on my new laptop. I had a MacBook Air which I gave away for an extremely good cause, then as luck would have it my hackintosh desktop HDD suffered a massive crash, and, for now, I can't access it through the usual means. I plan to get into it later using Linux recovery tools but that's a story for another day.

So I went and got myself a new laptop. I've been a fan here for 4 or so years (since snow leopard) just not heavy on contributing. However, today, I think the time is right as I suspect I potentially have the best hackintosh laptop ever (HP eat your heart out)!!!

Acer Aspire V3-371-58C2, which if you happen to be in Australia, is sold by thegoodguys,http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/acer-v3-371-133-inches500gb-notebook-white-nxmpfsa005), I've seen it on websites and reviews in europe as well but no idea if its available in the US and Canada. Refer to my signature and attached files for specs etc. This thing is booting (after a **** load of work), and everything seems to be working fine except Intel WiFi, and the display is flickering sometimes. but other than that, Bluetooth, display at native 1366x768, webcam, audio and even the mic is working (i used voodoo 2.87for audio via MultiBeast not sure if it works natively).

Now for the bad news. This took me a few days to get it right, working on it for a few hours in the evenings after work...the BIOS is crap. The only options available to edit are set/disable supervisor, user and HDD passwords, change boot mode from UEFI to legacy, selecting secure or normal boot and changing the boot device order. Played with these options until i got it to boot OSX USB. So currently to do this need to set boot mode to UEFI, set secure boot to OFF and first boot device is USB (optional). Thats it no other options.

So, to get this thing to boot took some creativity and unorthodox ways. First of all, I would like to say the guides here for laptops helped a bit, but, in the end, I gave up on them as I found it tricky to follow a guide that references another guide that has vague reference to yet another guide. I think, if one is to put up a guide, it should be be standalone/self-sustainining, and, hence, no need to keep switching tabs on the browser. But I digress........

So, to get it up, I actually had to install Yosemite on the desktop SSD. Then, using clover, boot the SSD attached as a USB to the laptop, and, then ,clone the SSD to the laptop HDD. At this point, I can't be bothered replacing the HDD on the laptop as it has an awkward fit until I'm sure its going to be working perfect and I have decided windows 8.1 is way too slow for me as it takes over a minute to boot and even then it still seems to be doing things in the background so the computer is really slow and unresponsive. Ubuntu boots in 25seconds and is very fast on the computer as is OSX.

All of my attempts to boot up the laptop using clover (v3202) or the guides failed to get it to the installer. The guides actually work very well on the desktop but the laptop refused to cooperate. So, I decided to install to my SSD. Attached is the working install to a USB port, and, voila, the damn thing worked! Then, I cloned the SSD to the laptop HDD and its still working fine!! Very unorthodox but it works for now.

So, to be clear, booting is only via Clover USB (see attached files for the ones that work). I don't have DSDT inserted. For some reason, two days ago on MacAisl, I could get to the RehabMan repos. Then, a day ago, it stopped accessing the repos, and I couldn't get it to retrieve the repos so did not patch the DSDT. However, I have attached the raw files dumped via Ubuntu here. Also, to be honest, I don't know how to patch the DSDT....I would appreciate some help here from you guys, especially with the DSDT, SSDT's and patches.

So, this it what works on this laptop: webcam, keyboard, video (though at the moment its flickering but at max resolution for this screen), Bluetooth, USB, and, obviously, Ethernet works as I type this on the computer and can post... so the minimum kexts on the Clover folder are working fine. The mouse and track pad work, but are laggy and not as smooth....I can use two finger multi-touch, but three fingers give an error (just makes a beeping error sounds) and nothing happens, and graphics acceleration works (itunes is working ok).

So, what I'm after is help with the DSDT and SSDT so I can load them up and get a better experience especially for USB and also a bit of help on stopping the screen flickering issue.

FYI. The BIOS on this thing is extremely limited. Selections now are BOOTMODE=UEFI, SECUREBOOT=DISABLED. There are no other options available to select that would make a difference here.

Once i have it booting OK with a DSDT and SSDT and its kinda stable, I will post a comprehensive all in one guide. At the moment can only boot from Clover USB, multibeast or CLOVER installed on the HDD dont seem to be able to get it to boot for now....

Attachments

• ACER DSDT SSDT.zip
    50.1 KB · Views: 140
  • EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
...and the display is flickering sometimes.

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Also, to be honest, I don't know how to patch the DSDT....I would appreciate some help here from you guys, especially with the DSDT, SSDT's and patches.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

I have a question on bios/hdd.
I cant seem to get Clover USB to boot via legacy setting in bios. It only gets recognised when in UEFI mode setting. When I tried switching to legacy mode, UEFI clover wont work, legacy http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html) it gives and error:
b1f: init
b1f: error

when i try the unibeast version while in legacy bios mode, USB is recognised but does not boot, it goes straight into windows. what gives? does this basically mean i can only boot OSX in UEFI mode?

To be clear, i currently have 3 osx install USBs, one unibeast made, the other two clover one with MBR the other with GPT partition schemes both made using createinstallmedia...

Also in UEFI clover, it shows an option of Windows 8 which I have long ago deleted the partition, infact I deleted all partitions and created a new partition table in linux, yet the ghost of windows 8 still lingers..... what gives? :confused:

Also the USB that works to boot the install to the desktop is the MBR clover version. however this works haphazardly i.e. it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. it seems it depends on how the computer restarts, if it restarts after a kernel panic it doesnt work. if i press and hold power button and then go into bios and pretty much do nothing (i.e. dont change anything), then save and reboot, it works..... this is frustrating as hell...

I have a question on bios/hdd.
I cant seem to get Clover USB to boot via legacy setting in bios. It only gets recognised when in UEFI mode setting. When I tried switching to legacy mode, UEFI clover wont work, legacy http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html) it gives and error:
b1f: init
b1f: error

when i try the unibeast version while in legacy bios mode, USB is recognised but does not boot, it goes straight into windows. what gives? does this basically mean i can only boot OSX in UEFI mode?

To boot the USB you should use your BIOS method/hotkey to select the boot device specifically (key/method depends on BIOS). Don't rely on BIOS to choose the boot device.

To be clear, i currently have 3 osx install USBs, one unibeast made, the other two clover one with MBR the other with GPT partition schemes both made using createinstallmedia...

Legacy vs. UEFI depends on the options you choose for Clover install, not only partition scheme.

Also in UEFI clover, it shows an option of Windows 8 which I have long ago deleted the partition, infact I deleted all partitions and created a new partition table in linux, yet the ghost of windows 8 still lingers..... what gives? :confused:

You must have an EFI/Microsoft directory with the Windows UEFI boot files on your EFI partition.

Also the USB that works to boot the install to the desktop is the MBR clover version. however this works haphazardly i.e. it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. it seems it depends on how the computer restarts, if it restarts after a kernel panic it doesnt work. if i press and hold power button and then go into bios and pretty much do nothing (i.e. dont change anything), then save and reboot, it works..... this is frustrating as hell...

Not enough detail. If you're getting a panic, post a photo.

To boot the USB you should use your BIOS method/hotkey to select the boot device specifically (key/method depends on BIOS). Don't rely on BIOS to choose the boot device.
thats the thing thats confusing me, i only use the F12 option, allowing it to boot by itself doesnt get to clover....so i always use F12 but get varying results...

Legacy vs. UEFI depends on the options you choose for Clover install, not only partition scheme.

oki doki... fixed as i got annoyed and formatted the entire HDD for a fresh install, realised that the EFI partition had some crap in it (win8 i suspect) and decided I want ubuntu on it later too so have redone the entire HDD

You must have an EFI/Microsoft directory with the Windows UEFI boot files on your EFI partition.

Not any more, repartitioned the HDD again and wiped yet win 8 still shows up.... not a major issue for me though i can live with it for now, once i get it working respectably I'll move my ssd into the laptop, for now its just an experiment. However I'm confident it will work.

Not enough detail. If you're getting a panic, post a photo.

Noted. will do so when it happens again, however following the reformatting, i have now been able to boot into the installer, the only thing i've changed is removing the cpusensor thing in fakesmc and adding intel inject 0x61610002. video looks better but still not yet there. However I would like to note that when reinstalling clover to the EFI partition or copying clover EFI folder to the clover partition it always gives better results AFTER erasing the clover partition on the USB (no need to reformat and reinstall the OSX Installer)

So these are the results after getting to the desktop, i again used a shortcut, I have an image of an OSX install (immediately after USB install but before first boot to create users etc) on the SSD plus a wokring install. cloned the fresh install to the laptop HDD and booted off the USB (EFI attached as ZIP) config uses 61610002, but to be honest i didnt see a difference with 61610000.
  1. Display is vivid and looks good, however some lagging still happens, and there is the issues on the title bar for all windows which keep vanishing
  2. Sound not working - fresh install doesnt not yet have sound enabled via voodoo or HDA kext. how the heck do I find out what codec its got? Acer doesnt supply such details.
  3. Webcam works but flickers and i suspect it can be higer resolution at 720p at the moment it looks like a 1990's phone camera very poor video...
  4. ethernet doesnt work (intel ethernet kext not loaded yet), tried using the bare minimum kexts to boot...
  5. Graphics shows HD 6000 under system profiles, cannot change from 1366x768 in preferences. shows VRAM total is 4MB
  6. bluetooth seems to be working but havent paired it with anything yet as its not important for me.
  7. USB not working.... strange, thought USB kext was loaded...this is bad as i wont have an easy way to copy tools across without rebooting which is annoying.
  8. touchpad seems to be ok, has multitouch with two fingers...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back