CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got a pretty simple question to which I think I know the answer, but better safe than sorry.

I'm looking at purchasing the HP 4530 (A7K07UT) …

At: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/38363-faq-os-x-4530s.html … it says:

"For full functionality you should have an Atheros 9285."

But I can't find the Atheros card mentioned by name as being '9285'. On the 4530 specs, it merely says:

"Atheros 802.11b/g/n WiFi (1 x 1) and Bluetooth 3.0 + HS Combo"

From what I can see, the only 4530 i5 model that has an Atheros WiFi card is the A7K07UT. That's the AR9825, correct?

Thanks,
Rob

PS. I went to the Atheros site and found the AR9285 card and looked at the specs, but that didn't really lay things to rest for me.

Only certain model numbers have the correct chip. With how easy (and cheap) it is to swap the WiFi out to the proper Atheros chip and have it flawlessly work, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor when determining to order.

Honestly, I would just order it. Having done a few Hackintoshes now, this ProBook is the easiest and most idiot-proof I have ever done. With Unibeast and the generously provided ProBook installer, it's SOOO easy. Even though my ProBook didn't originally come with a Atheros chip, I just popped in a Belkin N300 USB stick until my chip get here.

Once you have it, the easiest way to find out is to just pop off the back case. There aren't any screws or anything like that (unless someone has put on the security screw, which they don't do by default), so popping off the back of the case is as easy as pulling out the battery. Eject the battery then continue to slide the tabs until the case slides down. You should be able to see the chip and you'll be able to tell immediately which you have, down to the exact model number. If you have the wrong one (Realtek, Broadcom or some unsupported Atheros which I don't think there is), you should be able to order the right one for about $10. That one DOES say Atheros in the spec, so I bet it will work.

Thanks k_roy... that was both helpful and encouraging.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back