Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7040
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi everyone, I have this Dell optiplex 7040. It has the i7 6700 processor, 16 gigs of ram ( dont know the model) and a 256 gb m.2 ssd (from samsung but I dont know the exact model). Will check later the models even the motherboard on this one if that will help. My question is, is this even hackintoshible? Tried searching but have not found a success build using this particular model of optiplex.

Anyway, if there is someone can help please feel free to comment. thank you.

Specs wise there is no problem and it should be compatible ( aside from knowing the nvme SSD model. )
Some NVME drives are problematic on macOS (Samsung PM961,PM981, etc).
Basically all NVME drives that support 4K sectors do work OOB.

Thank for your reply @Sniki. I can replace the m.2 to a 2.5 500gb samsung evo ssd. I have one lying around.

So about the process of installing it, I have seen a video from youtube, morgaunot, i think, she showed it via using the Vanilla method (different hardwares though). Can I follow that procedure?

Also, which version of osx will work on this setup/hardware?

Thanks again

Thank for your reply @Sniki. I can replace the m.2 to a 2.5 500gb samsung evo ssd. I have one lying around.

So about the process of installing it, I have seen a video from youtube, morgaunot, i think, she showed it via using the Vanilla method (different hardwares though). Can I follow that procedure?

Also, which version of osx will work on this setup/hardware?

Thanks again

Your Dell computer has a Skylake CPU and I recommend you should use at least MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. If you intend to use that M.2 SSD to install MacOS and that SSD is NVMe, then you should use at least MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thanks @Jamesbond007. Will check later if the m.2 is nvme. Just saw a new post asking about his dell optiplex too and one of the reply there asked to check whether the bios of that dell optiplex is capable or within the requirements. So, with my dell optiplex 7040 sff, does its bios capable in doing the required settings for a hackintosh? thanks.

Thanks @Jamesbond007. Will check later if the m.2 is nvme. Just saw a new post asking about his dell optiplex too and one of the reply there asked to check whether the bios of that dell optiplex is capable or within the requirements. So, with my dell optiplex 7040 sff, does its bios capable in doing the required settings for a hackintosh? thanks.

You should also check your computer's BIOS to see if the required BIOS options in the Installation Guide are available. Lacking those options you may not be able to install and run MacOS on your computer.

Hi everyone, I have successfully installed mojave in my optiplex 7040. Someone from youtube gave me an EFI folder which I replaced after making the bootable USB using unibeast.

After installing, I tried plugging in an ethernet cable but I did not get any internet connection. So I went and checked from the system report and I saw on the ethernet card that there is no card installed. That's the idea that I can remember from what is says. So, how can i install the drivers of the ethernet card?

And I also noticed that if I dont touched the computer for a certain minutes it goes to i am guessing sleep mode so when I press the keyboard it does not do anything. I have to force to shutdown the computer and turn it again. How can I fix that too?

For now, that's it that I can see. Anyone can help? thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back