Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
Graphics
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
I just recently built a system with the specs listed below.

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.5GHz (Not Overclocked)
8GB ADATA DDR4 2800MHz
MSI GTX 960 4GD5T OC 4GB 128-bit
256GB Intel 530 SSD (Contains Windows 10 Pro)
2TB WD Blue (Used for Storage of files and games)
3x Dell E2211H Monitors

I plan to make a small partition on the 2TB and run OS X from there. El Capitan is what I am aiming for. Is everything within my build compatible and would make for a successful OS X build?

This spec is great. You should install the OS X in SSD to get better performance.

@Bradley04268 Did you build your hackintosh with the MoBo you mentioned? The MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170A?
If yes: Did it work out well?

Well I got the same MoBo now, with the following conifg:

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170A
Intel Core i7 6700K
16GB DDR4 2133 G.Skill
Nvidia GTX 780 (Asus)

... i followed the instructions, listed in the Install-Guide section, but i cannot boot from HFS Disk after installing, there's a "prohibition sign". What should i do?
What exact BIOS settings do you use, @Bradley04268 ?

Hi, it is nice to see someone with the same board. I hope I can help.
My spec is:

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170
Intel Skylake i5 6600K
16 GB DDR4 Corsair
MSI Gaming GTX 1080 (I know, it doesn't work no support for now)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA, 500 GB

So far, I can install Sierra on it, able to boot to the OS. It is working with the exception:

- 4K Display unsupported. 1440p Resolution not detected in my monitor. Connected through HDMI.
- I can only use default igp Intel HD 530.
- No Audio on HDMI or sound port in the back/front. Sadly, Audio Codec not detected. I've tried Toleda's guide but to no avail for now.

... i followed the instructions, listed in the Install-Guide section, but i cannot boot from HFS Disk after installing, there's a "prohibition sign". What should i do?
What exact BIOS settings do you use, @Bradley04268 ?

The fact is, yes I also encountered that prohibition sign very often. When I see it, I intuitively press my left/arrow key to try to go back to Clover boot list. I then select the same entry again (HFS+ Disk), and it will run correctly now. Sometimes I had to try 3 times to make it boot. If more than 3 attempts, I usually restart the PC. Then it will work the next try. I don't know what happened :(. But, I suspect it is because the kext cache are being built or something, because it is sometimes occured when I tried new Multibeast/Clover settings.

I will list my BIOS settings, hope that helps:

* Settings > Advanced > Integrated Peripherals
- SATA Mode: AHCI Mode
- HD Audio Controller: Enabled
- Intel Serial I/O: Disabled
* Settings > Advanced > Integrated Graphics Configuration
- I'm Using Use integrated graphics for now since my 1080 doesn't work. You have to improvise for yours
- Initiate Graphic Adapter: IGD (Choose PEG if you uses your GTX 780)
- Integrated Graphics Share Memory: 1024 MB (might be not important for you, but it does help if you're using Intel HD 530 in the meantime)
* Settings > Advanced > Intel Thunderbolt
- Not sure why I had this option in BIOS, no thunderbolt adapter I can see on Mobo. Perhaps for the USB Type-C? I set this to fully disabled
* Settings > Advanced > USB Configuration
- USB Controller: Enabled
- XHCI Hand-off: Enabled (It doesn't work when I disable it)
- Legacy USB Support: Enabled
* Settings > Advanced > Windows OS Configuration
- Disabled all this settings
* Settings > Boot
- Boot mode select: LEGACY + UEFI

And this is my Multibeast config:

* Quick Start:
- UEFI Boot Mode
* Drivers > Audio:
- I read the spec sheet of this board, and it should work with ALC1150, but it doesn't work with mine.
* Drivers > Network:
- IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0
* Customize > Graphics Configuration
- Intel HD 530 (Choose accordingly, your GTX 780 should be used with Inject NVIDIA)
* Customize > System Definitions
- iMac 14,2 (I haven't tried to upgrade it to iMac 17,1)

Some Notes:
It might help if you tried to use verbose boot flags. Hover your cursor to HFS+ Disk in clover and press space. Check that -verbose flag, then boot. Try to see the latest debug message you can get before failing. Also, I know it sounds weird, but if you get this kind of message:

Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

Try to go back to clover using arrow keys, then boot again to HFS+ Disk at least 3 times and see if it gets through further.

Just post the debug message here so we can figure it out.

So I'm back trying to go at doing this again. I have absolutely no idea what I should do for this install. I have a second 80gb SSD for this Mac Install. Does anyone have the knowledge as to what I should do for this and where I can start? I would prefer no to have to take out the GPU if possible but I've heard that may be required.

Hi, it is nice to see someone with the same board. I hope I can help.
My spec is:

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170
Intel Skylake i5 6600K
16 GB DDR4 Corsair
MSI Gaming GTX 1080 (I know, it doesn't work no support for now)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA, 500 GB

So far, I can install Sierra on it, able to boot to the OS. It is working with the exception:

- 4K Display unsupported. 1440p Resolution not detected in my monitor. Connected through HDMI.
- I can only use default igp Intel HD 530.
- No Audio on HDMI or sound port in the back/front. Sadly, Audio Codec not detected. I've tried Toleda's guide but to no avail for now.

The fact is, yes I also encountered that prohibition sign very often. When I see it, I intuitively press my left/arrow key to try to go back to Clover boot list. I then select the same entry again (HFS+ Disk), and it will run correctly now. Sometimes I had to try 3 times to make it boot. If more than 3 attempts, I usually restart the PC. Then it will work the next try. I don't know what happened :(. But, I suspect it is because the kext cache are being built or something, because it is sometimes occured when I tried new Multibeast/Clover settings.

I will list my BIOS settings, hope that helps:

* Settings > Advanced > Integrated Peripherals
- SATA Mode: AHCI Mode
- HD Audio Controller: Enabled
- Intel Serial I/O: Disabled
* Settings > Advanced > Integrated Graphics Configuration
- I'm Using Use integrated graphics for now since my 1080 doesn't work. You have to improvise for yours
- Initiate Graphic Adapter: IGD (Choose PEG if you uses your GTX 780)
- Integrated Graphics Share Memory: 1024 MB (might be not important for you, but it does help if you're using Intel HD 530 in the meantime)
* Settings > Advanced > Intel Thunderbolt
- Not sure why I had this option in BIOS, no thunderbolt adapter I can see on Mobo. Perhaps for the USB Type-C? I set this to fully disabled
* Settings > Advanced > USB Configuration
- USB Controller: Enabled
- XHCI Hand-off: Enabled (It doesn't work when I disable it)
- Legacy USB Support: Enabled
* Settings > Advanced > Windows OS Configuration
- Disabled all this settings
* Settings > Boot
- Boot mode select: LEGACY + UEFI

And this is my Multibeast config:

* Quick Start:
- UEFI Boot Mode
* Drivers > Audio:
- I read the spec sheet of this board, and it should work with ALC1150, but it doesn't work with mine.
* Drivers > Network:
- IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0
* Customize > Graphics Configuration
- Intel HD 530 (Choose accordingly, your GTX 780 should be used with Inject NVIDIA)
* Customize > System Definitions
- iMac 14,2 (I haven't tried to upgrade it to iMac 17,1)

Some Notes:
It might help if you tried to use verbose boot flags. Hover your cursor to HFS+ Disk in clover and press space. Check that -verbose flag, then boot. Try to see the latest debug message you can get before failing. Also, I know it sounds weird, but if you get this kind of message:

Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

Try to go back to clover using arrow keys, then boot again to HFS+ Disk at least 3 times and see if it gets through further.

Just post the debug message here so we can figure it out.

So without using any additional Boot Args and setting up my bios identical with yours, I cannot boot using -v or -x, but without them I get the Progress Bar under the Apple logo to get about 90% across with the beachball cursor that is moveable, but no further. I must also mention that booting in TERRIBLY slow. I disabled my 960 and got farther to my current issue I'm facing. It seems I'm moving in the correct direction, but I am unsure as to what I need to do next, or what I have been doing wrong.

hello, I have the same MB can't get Sierra to start, always kernel panic
got question for lucernae what BIOS Ver your MB have ?
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back