gtx680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hey my gpu is faulty and apple wont do anything
is there anyway of disabling amd gpu permanently on macbook pro 2011, if i run gfxcard status it runs perfectly on the hd3000 gpu but i cannot turn my macbook off because it wont boot up until multiple times so i put in sleep mode all the time.
is there a hack?

cheers

I think you might be able to do something like this, not sure which GPU you have so the code will just slightly vary. This should work with the 6750 M I believe? Also may need a NVRAM reset.

> mkdir DisabledExtensions
> cd /System/Library/Extensions
> sudo mv ATIRadeonX2000.kext ~/DisabledExtensions
> sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Hello good Hackintosh people...

How difficult is it to get either Mountain Lion or Mavericks running
on Early 2011 MacBook Pro's with a dead discrete Radeon HD 6740M chips?

There are thousands of such broken computers as this model was a lemon.
It should be able to run quite well by just using the Intel graphics.

I am currently "running" 10.8.5, having deleted ATISupport.kext, and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext
kernel_task is sucking 600-700% cpu, and there is hardly enough left to spin the beach_ball :(

I tried (didn't help):
defaults write "Apple Global Domain" NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching -boolean 'false'

I tried
<key>MacBookPro8,3</key> <dict> <key>bDualGPU</key> <false/>
in a couple .plist files. Didn't seem to help.

I'm stuck.
This computer is so close to being a real Mac.
There must be a simple workaround!

... Richard

MC725LL/A MacBookPro8,3 serial C02FM0N7DMGH
2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (2820QM) 17" 1920x1200 16GB
AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1GB) + Intel HD Graphics 3000 (384MB)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (384MB) + AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1GB)

p.s.
I have currently disabled:
AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext ATI2400Controller.kext ATI4800Controller.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle
AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle ATI2600Controller.kext ATI5000Controller.kext ATIRadeonX2000.kext ATISupport.kext
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle ATI3800Controller.kext ATI6000Controller.kext ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin
AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle ATI4600Controller.kext ATI7000Controller.kext ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

It runs like ****.

It seems that I have found more reliable or permanent software solution allowing to disable discrete GPU and use mbp (mine is Mbp 8.3 early 2011, Yosemite) with broken discrete GPU (failing to boot) than gfxCardStatus 1.8-2.2.1, namely https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch . Please note that only source code is there so Xcode is requred to compile the binary. The application runs from terminal, uses the same code as gfxCardStatus but writes the setting into NVRAM(PRAM) so machine remains switched to internal GPU on next boot(s)/wake(s). This saved me from frequent overheat shutdowns under blanket just to load the os (after overheat shutdown the system forcibly uses igpu but this state changes back after couple of boots so it becomes necessary to overheat again). After about a week of gpu-switch testing, however, I have to conclude that this solution has its drawbacks too: it works fine after shutdown (including abnormal or forced one), sleep, hibernation, but it does not prevent mbp from switching to dgpu on running graphic demanding apps such as googlemaps in browser. gfxCardStatus (integrated only mode) is better in this respect so I use both and now I can say that the machine is very stable and reliable after all.

It seems that I have found more reliable or permanent software solution allowing to disable discrete GPU and use mbp (mine is Mbp 8.3 early 2011, Yosemite) with broken discrete GPU (failing to boot) than gfxCardStatus 1.8-2.2.1, namely https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch . Please note that only source code is there so Xcode is requred to compile the binary. The application runs from terminal, uses the same code as gfxCardStatus but writes the setting into NVRAM(PRAM) so machine remains switched to internal GPU on next boot(s)/wake(s). This saved me from frequent overheat shutdowns under blanket just to load the os (after overheat shutdown the system forcibly uses igpu but this state changes back after couple of boots so it becomes necessary to overheat again). After about a week of gpu-switch testing, however, I have to conclude that this solution has its drawbacks too: it works fine after shutdown (including abnormal or forced one), sleep, hibernation, but it does not prevent mbp from switching to dgpu on running graphic demanding apps such as googlemaps in browser. gfxCardStatus (integrated only mode) is better in this respect so I use both and now I can say that the machine is very stable and reliable after all.
lavrm, how to use it in command line, how to compile it? Please give step-by-step instructions.

lavrm, how to use it in command line, how to compile it? Please give step-by-step instructions.
You are replying to a post from 2017 - lavrm was Last seen Apr 7, 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back