Contribute
Register

Is there ANY hardware that can be reused on a DP Power Mac G4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC 7455
Graphics
4X AGP ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Aside from the case, is there anything inside the computer that can be salvaged and used again in a Hackintosh rebuild? I'm new to this and just hate to throw away ALL the computer parts on a unit that still works and that I bought brand new. Mine was the last year prior to Apple changing over to Intel. Looked for similar questions on the Search button with no luck.

I can't think of anything from a G4 that's worth saving. Even the optical drives won't work without an adapter.

I can't think of anything from a G4 that's worth saving. Even the optical drives won't work without an adapter.
Thank you for the response. So then the whole idea here (and this is probably overstating the overtly obvious) is basically stacking new Windows PC parts into an Apple case (or new aftermarket case) and loading the Apple OS? There's zero Apple hardware ANYWHERE? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I thought this site was also a way to improve upon an existing structure. An analogy would be, say, someone who will take a 2017 Corvette crate engine and cram it into a 1981 Corvette body. You can still use the same interior, tires, wheels, and body.....but the drive train is all new. Am I wrong? My issue with my G4 is that even the newest internet versions of Safari, IE, and Firefox are basically useless since they require upgraded versions of the OS. My G4 maxes out at I believe 10.6, so I just hate to waste such an expensive and nice looking computer.

Not exactly... A hackintosh can use CPUs that are/were used in real Macs... Hackintoshes often use AirPort cards from real Macs...

It's possible, but not required to use some genuine Apple components.

IMHO, Hackintoshing is more about getting OSX working on aftermarket parts, and have it do so at a lower cost when compered to an of the shelve Mac; but then there are some of us who really love our Macs, and would like to give them new life, and as such, we work on bringing new life to them. The problem in doing so is that most new parts are not compatible with the old ones, and the ones that kind of are need to be adapted, but even then, they are old technology anyway. This means that the best solution is to just gut them, and instal new parts that are compatible, so we can give them new life. There is something to seeing an old friend alive again and performing like it once did.... well, even better I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back