Contribute
Register

Is there a preference between installing UEFI or Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UH5D
CPU
i7
Graphics
Geforce 1050ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My motherboard supports both. I have been able to get the multiboot working using UEFI, but Win10 has been giving me sound issues, in that I can get it to work. Was thinking about going the legacy route to see if it changed anything. Is there any reason to pick UEFI over Legacy?

Faster boot time. Ability to boot Windows on GPT formatted hard drive.
Sierra boots faster with Clover installed EFI rather than legacy also.

My motherboard supports both. I have been able to get the multiboot working using UEFI, but Win10 has been giving me sound issues, in that I can get it to work. Was thinking about going the legacy route to see if it changed anything. Is there any reason to pick UEFI over Legacy?
I can only echo what´s stated: Faster Boot, all in GPT. I also experienced that building the boost selection menu is more straightforward. I´d suggest investigate the W10 troubles, cause there should be none with on up to date mobo.

Was thinking about going the legacy route to see if it changed anything. Is there any reason to pick UEFI over Legacy?

You don't want to do that. It will mean completely erasing the disks, perhaps even using 'fixparts' in Linux to get rid of the UEFI GPT table. Not worth it.

In the case of W10 it could be that it automatically updated the sound driver. You may want to roll it back to what was working, then black list that driver in W10 Update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

First see if there is an updated driver from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back