Contribute
Register

Is there a guide for dual booting w/2 drives lion and win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've only seen partition one drive or where ppl have had success but show little or no steps. If I missed it, I apologize. I have been searching.

There aren't any guides for setting up two separate drives because it's really easy, compared to the process required to set up two partitions on the same drive.

Basically, install Mac OS X on one drive and Windows on the other. In the BIOS settings of your motherboard, set the Mac OS X drive to highest hard drive priority (this is located under "Advanced BIOS Features" or something like that in the BIOS of Gigabyte motherboards). You'll then be able to choose between Mac OS X and Windows at bootup.

However, if you didn't set your BIOS to AHCI mode before installing Windows, you'll need to enable AHCI mode in Windows or it won't be able to boot after the Mac OS X installation. Oh yeah, and you should fix the time sync issue between Windows and OS X after you finish both installations.

Thank you again SmartGuy. One other question for you. Should I be able to update Lion with little issue?

wellmanb said:
Thank you again SmartGuy. One other question for you. Should I be able to update Lion with little issue?

I can't be sure. If your Snow Leopard install was pretty easy and you used UserDSDT, then you probably won't encounter any problems.

I'm sorry I should've been more clear. I have lion running but was wondering about updating to 10.7.3. thx

I was wondering about the same question today and your conversations above is a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back