Contribute
Register

Is Replacing my 1060 with a Vega 64 possible in this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My current setup:
500W power supply
Intel i7 6700K
MSI Z170A GAMING M5 motherboard
Asus ROG GTX1060 6GB Strix

I'm currently running macOs High Sierra because of the web driver issue. I'd like to update to a newer (i.e the latest) macOS version and want to buy a new AMD graphics card for that. I was thinking of a Vega 64 or Vega 56. Is that even ok in terms of power delivery from my PSU as I've read that the AMD cards use more power than NVIDIA ones? What brand should I get if it is possible? In the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-gpu-buyers-guide.275003/ it says not to use XFX and Sapphire cards but there a quite a few XFX and Sapphire cards listed in the tonymacx86 buyer's guide...

I also want it to be as quiet as possible because my case has a glass window and sits on my table so I can hear it pretty well. My current card completely turns off its fans when not under load.

Is this one https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0781VL2HB/?tag=tonymacx8603-21 a good choice? I've experienced some coil whine and sleep/wake problems with my current Asus Strix card but I can't tell if that's a card specific issue or a issue with Asus Strix cards in general.

Thank you for your advice!

XFX and sapphire Vega cards work just fine I am not sure why that guide says to avoid them. I have a XFX Vega 64 and it works just fine, I also have a MSI Vega 56 with a sapphire nitro+ Vega 56 bios, and a Sapphire RX 580 in another machine. In fact for Vega 56/64 XFX and Sapphire are recommended by apple for use in EGPU:

Also as of the latest release of Mojave the fan issues that some cards had appears to be gone. The kind of cards that shut the fans down are the non-reference cards like your current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back