Contribute
Register

Is overclocking safe to speed up Mountain Lion Mac OS X 10.8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I found two options to speed up my Mountain Lion - 1. Clean up Mac drive 2. Overclocking
I know the benefits and techniques of first one but not confident about second method. Want to know something more about prose and cons of overclocking.

Also, for Cleaning Mac drive I know tools like Clean my Mac, Stellar Speed Up Mac and more but not for overclocking

Pro's: It will give you a higher GeekBench score. Which will amaze your friends.:eek:
Cons: Unstable system if not done correctly. Prone to KernelPanics. May experience negative karma from or during an OS update. Costs extra for decent cooling (You are going to do it properly! No half measures now!)

You forgot about Reality: ML runs smooth enough on anything from i-3 to i-7 without the need to overclock. Only gaming on Windows warrants an OC. The few authentic decent (unported) Mac games out there have been coded to run optimally on Apple specced systems, which (apart from MacPros) are mediocre to moderate in terms of processing power. Rather put the time, money and effort into a decent graphics card. Just my opinion. Ignore if you must. :silent:

Edit: If you have the cash to throw around, get an SSD. (and throw some my way for this awesome advice!) An SSD will do more for you than an overclock will.

Overclocking:
My definition of overclocking is running above the stock clock frequency.
Some people go overboard with extreme overclocking, just for their measurebation pleasure. Don't be that guy!

Pros: Programs feel snappier. Encoding and high cpu intensive tasks faster. Fast. If you have a 2500K or 2600K (i.e. "K" processors), you might as well take advantage of it and overclock... otherwise, why did you buy a K processor to begin with?

Easiest overclocking tweak; In Bios, you can change the default multiplier from 34x to 39x. Almost any K processor will do 39x easily at default settings. Done! You're overclocked at 3.9Ghz. Also, change your RAM multiplier to 16x so you're running at 1600Mhz. Another easy tweak.

Cons: None that I can think of. It's FREE performance gain!
Of course, that's assuming you're not using a stock cooler.
Get a decent $50 heatsink/cooler, it will be bigger, quieter, and will cool your cpu better.
If you are overclocking with stock cooler, that's not risky... that's stupid.

Again, why buy a K processor if you're not going to o/c it?
and if you buy a K processor, you better buy a decent cooler too... and not use the stock cooler that came with it.

Now that you're running at 39x (3.9Ghz), I bet you'll be itching to find out how higher you can go. You can still have a very stable and cool system up to 44x-45x with some work.

Beyond 45x, the few extra points you gain may not be worth the hassle (and heat and risk). There's a point of diminishing return. As I said, don't be *that* guy. Find your comfort spot.

Tips: Keep notes of every change you did to your system when exploring the 40x and above overclocking. Test stability with Prime and Geekbench. At higher multiplier settings, you may need to tweak voltages up a bit to keep stability. Run with your new speed for a few days or weeks, just to make sure it's stable (i.e. not freezing randomly)... then adjust it up again if you wish. Keep notes!!!

I'm running at 43x, 15,600 GB points. -- though I've tried 45x settings and had it running stable at that, I think 43x is a good balance of speed and temperature readings for me personally. No crashes, no KPs, sleep/wake works. Good luck!

I don't want to go for new drive but want to optimize the current one. Thanks for help. I think Having one of the cleanup tools, is a good idea to give some speed to my mountain Lion.

CCleaner for mac is free!

Onyx. Also free, but does quite a bit more.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to see if the tools like CCleaner, Clean my Mac, Stellar Speed Up Mac and Onyx work with OS X 10.8 or not.

I did the test found these Mac cleaning tools compatible with Mountain Lion.

I did the test found these Mac cleaning tools compatible with Mountain Lion.

If you look in my signature, there is my guide to keeping your hackintosh performing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back