Contribute
Register

Is now the time?

Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
35
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare z390
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
Vega Frontier
Classic Mac
LC
Mobile Phone
Android
What would you do in my situation?
I've run a successful hack 8 years but recently purchased an AMD Vega Frontier and tried to upgrade to Mojave to use it.

  • Upgrade was successful but couldn't get the AMD GPU to work (video output was only a 1" x 2" square in the center of the monitor even with Lilu)
  • Tried for a clean install, bricked a SSD while reformatting from installer (ran into an error now it doesn't have a volume nor can be read by BIOS, Windows or MacOS. Terminal cannot force unmount).
  • My RAM is dying: can only run 12GB out of 24 currently.
  • Current GPU, Nvidia GTX 480 doesn't have enough VRAM to run latest version of Davinci Resolve.

QUESTION: Should I build a new hack right now (before end of year)? I'm thinking of z390 + i9-9900k. OR wait until we hear more about the new MacPro and what that brings us?? What would you do? For the time being, I'm back to Sierra running an old Nvidia GTX 480 but I have two main video projects to finish...
 
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
44
Motherboard
WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
What would you do in my situation?
I've run a successful hack 8 years but recently purchased an AMD Vega Frontier and tried to upgrade to Mojave to use it.
  • Upgrade was successful but couldn't get the AMD GPU to work (video output was only a 1" x 2" square in the center of the monitor even with Lilu)
  • Tried for a clean install, bricked a SSD while reformatting from installer (ran into an error now it doesn't have a volume nor can be read by BIOS, Windows or MacOS. Terminal cannot force unmount).
  • My RAM is dying: can only run 12GB out of 24 currently.
  • Current GPU, Nvidia GTX 480 doesn't have enough VRAM to run latest version of Davinci Resolve.

QUESTION: Should I build a new hack right now (before end of year)? I'm thinking of z390 + i9-9900k. OR wait until we hear more about the new MacPro and what that brings us?? What would you do? For the time being, I'm back to Sierra running an old Nvidia GTX 480 but I have two main video projects to finish...
IMHO new Mac Pro would be a very expensive piece of equipment, as long as hackintosh continue to be this stable, I'll stick with it, it's easier and cheaper to upgrade.

About the AMG GPU, I can't really help as I don't own one, but did you check this post?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra.226847/

If you are using DaVinci I would rather recommend High Sierra over Mojave for now, at least is what I read in DaVinci focused forums.
 
Top