Contribute
Register

Is my processor compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, but what is the reason i cant have 4 ram kits. The board is capable of housing 8 x 240 pin ram. each kit comes with 2 x 8 gig chips. also, is the intel Core i5-3570K, ivy bridge, because i cant find a sandy bridge one. Thanks

the GA-Z77X-UP5 has 4 dimm slots.
4 kits=8 sticks of ram.
4 sticks too many.

the 3570k is ivy, the 2500k is sandy.
mountain lion supports ivy and sandy.
snow leopard supports only sandy
you are going to use mountain lion so stick with the 3570k
does that clear things up?

You will also need a way of creating a Unibeast drive. Do you have access to a mac? Maybe at a library or something?

Yup, clears everything up, but i copied the wrong motherboard name, i decided to go with the

[h=1]GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard[/h]
this one should be able to house 64 gigs of ram. so im going to just swap out the other board with this and swap out the

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

for the

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

and run mountain lion

yes i do, i have a mac desktop

You CANNOT do that. That is a 2011 socket Motherboard with a 1155 Socket CPU. It wont work.

What type of cpu will i need, and is this board compatible with mountain lion? I would really like to find a board and cpu capable of housing 64 gigs of ram and able to run mountain lion. Thanks.

Here, go to customac.com and scroll down to the socket 2011 Build.

Gigabyte
GA-X79-UD5

Intel Xeon E5 2609
(4 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2630
(6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2640
(6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2650
(8 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2690
(8 core)

Intel Core i7-3820
(4 core)
Intel Core i7-3930K
(6 core)
Intel Core i7-3960X
(6 core)

These rigs are the most powerful single CPU systems you can build. Warning: Power Management is NOT working, and may not ever work. This means no speedstep, sleep, etc...

My processor is a

[h=1]Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz[/h]
I would like to know if this is compatible with snow leopard and my motherboard

[h=1]GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard[/h]
i recently watched a video saying ivy bridge is not compatible with snowleapard but after searching around for a while it seems like people have used ivy bridge before, Please help:?:

Your mobo will work under SL (ivybridge is retrocompatible with sandybridge), you mightt have a problem with USB3.
Your processor is not compatible, I don't know if there is a work around.
This is ok with Lion (10.7.4 with the new kernel) and ML. Why running SL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back