Contribute
Register

Is my processor compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about running lion? will lion run on this motherboard. Also, i would like to purchase a different motherboard that is lion compatible and able to run 64 gigs of ram, any ideas?

You would need a 2011MB and CPU

aside from the issue that you cant actually buy lion from the MAS anymore, lion would work.
atm you have to use the macbook pro kernel which supports ivy, but when 10.7.5 comes out itll include ivy support

thanks for all the responses, but me being a first time builder and not knowing much about this subject, im not completely understanding everything everybody is saying. if i use this motherboard and this processor together, ca i run snow leopard. If so, can someone link me to a page that describes how to do this. If not, can someone link me to a page that shows how to run any other mac os, Thanks.

-Noob

motherboard, yes.
cpu, no.

snow leopard never supported ivy bridge processors (3rd gen core i cpus, eg 3570k etc).
therefore you cant boot into snow leopard with that cpu with the native kernel.
using a legacy kernel with that system is pointless as its supported by a later version of osx.

you could get a 2nd gen core i cpu (eg. 2500k, 2600k etc) which would work in snow leopard.

for what you have listed atm in the first post, youd HAVE to use mountain lion.
you cant run lion, because they dont sell it anymore
snow leopard can be run, but not with that cpu, and apple stopped selling snow leopard discs, but you can get them on ebay.

yes, but so is the 3570k.

which version of osx do you plan to use, as you started off specifically mentioning snow leopard, now are mentioning mountain lion as though youve ditched the idea of snow.

if you want mountain lion, you can use the hardware in your first post.

at first i was planning on running snow leopard, but after reading many posts i have come to a conclusion that i would like mountain lion. I have come up with a final decision on products which consist of

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz\

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77

4 X CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B

APEVIA X-PLORER2 Series X-PLORER2-RD Black / Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Please tell me if these are all the items i need, if all these items are compatible with each other, and all these items are capable of running mountain lion.

Thanks

then go with the 3570k.
it has the hd4000 which is better than the hd3000 in the 2500k, and there are graphics related issues when using a z77 board with a 2xxx cpu (although this only matters if you are using the built in graphics, which you arent)

in short, as you are now going to use mountain, might as well go with the 3570k

the 550ti has issues in mountain lion with sleep
that case is horrible...imo.
you cant buy 4 of those ram kits. you can buy 2 of those ram kits
that psu is a bit...meh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back