Contribute
Register

Is my hardware compatible and what version of OSX can I run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I've been thinking of trying to do a hackintosh, can you let me know if it's possible and where I can find any guides. I'm not sure what version of OSX I might be able to use. I've always been a Windows user but I want to try out OSX to see how it is. My sister has a really old Apple G4 I think (the old white CRT All in one), I've seen something about needing access to a mac would that be okay?

Here's my system.

Motherboard: Asrock z68 extreme 4 (Not the Gen 3 one)
Processor: i5 2500k
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX570 Inno3D GDDR5 Dual DVI+HDMI
Ram: G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

Hi,

I've been thinking of trying to do a hackintosh, can you let me know if it's possible and where I can find any guides. I'm not sure what version of OSX I might be able to use. I've always been a Windows user but I want to try out OSX to see how it is. My sister has a really old Apple G4 I think (the old white CRT All in one), I've seen something about needing access to a mac would that be okay?

Here's my system.

Motherboard: Asrock z68 extreme 4 (Not the Gen 3 one)
Processor: i5 2500k
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX570 Inno3D GDDR5 Dual DVI+HDMI
Ram: G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

I have no idea whether the Broadcom LAN on your motherboard will work, but otherwise it seems to be OK. You can try OSX Lion (10.7) or the current Mountain Lion (10.8).

You need a working Intel Mac (your sister's old G4 won't do) or a hackintosh to buy and download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

Thanks for the reply, if the B Lane doesn't work does that mean that the Internet won't work? Also, at my work place there is a mac I could access, do I only need to access it to purchase snow lion? Or is it needed for anything else as I'm not sure if they have restrictions on it. At my uni they also have some macs there but they will probably also have restrictions as well.

I've been doing a bit of reading. So I need access to a mac to purchase Mountain Lion. I've never really used the mac store before, must I log in to the owner account to access the store and make the purchase? can I get it sent to my address?

Once I receive Mountain Lion, do I have to use an intel Mac to make the bootable usb drive for Mountain Lion. Do I need administrator rights or anything to create the bootable drive for ML?

I just want to get these steps right in my head before proceding since I might use a iMac at work or maybe uni, that's why I'm wondering about having an Apple account or if administrator privileges are required to make the boot usb.

I've been doing a bit of reading. So I need access to a mac to purchase Mountain Lion. I've never really used the mac store before, must I log in to the owner account to access the store and make the purchase? can I get it sent to my address?

You must log in to the App Store, set up an account with valid credit card details to pay for purchases (Mountain Lion & any other apps that you may wish to purchase), you will need to download Mountain Lion and create the UniBeast stick. Downloading to a Mac that does not belong to you may require certain privileges to be available to you. Mountain lion is only available by download - it cannot be posted to you.

Once I receive Mountain Lion, do I have to use an intel Mac to make the bootable usb drive for Mountain Lion. Do I need administrator rights or anything to create the bootable drive for ML?

See previous answer.

I just want to get these steps right in my head before proceding since I might use a iMac at work or maybe uni, that's why I'm wondering about having an Apple account or if administrator privileges are required to make the boot usb.

You will need to set up your own Apple Account details and you will need an valid credit card. Administrator privileges are almost certainly required for a college machine. A friendly person at work may be more approachable and willing to help if you can outline what you are trying to achieve.
I hope this helps :thumbup:

Adrian B

Thanks for the help. I didn't have access to a mac and I had uni so I sort of left this for another time. No assignments just work so thought I'll give this another shot.

I know somebody who has one of those old white widesceen imacs, hopefully it's a core 2 duo one. That's intel isn't it and is it a valid one? I have an iOS account will I be able to use this to purchase Mountain Lion? or can I just purchase Lion? I want to end up being on Mavericks and possibly the new one when released.

All the reading that I done previously has mainly gone out of my head :( Will I be able to create the multibeast on the iMac Core 2 Duo machine?

I also have a Thinkpad Yoga has anybody hackintoshed it? and is it possible? Mine's is an i5 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back