Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I am not sure how to tell if my graphics card is working. It seems to be, but everything I look at gives me the impression that something is wrong. It seems to be running off the default MacOS graphics driver that comes with Mojave. ECC is not supported. And clearly my computer is booting up and I can see things. I've given up looking for a workaround in the forums as I can't find anything that is exactly relevant to me. the newest thread I can find says that there are no Nvidia drivers for Mojave currently, and I guess that's why the update function does not work in the Driver Manager.

But I am a film editor and I am worried that my graphics will not be optimal if not running the Nvidia drivers...

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 17.08.42.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 17.08.49.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 17.08.56.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 17.14.01.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 17.14.15.png

Your GTX 760 is working with the default MacOS graphics drivers in Mojave. However, as far as I know, if you need special features on your card (say CUDA), then the default drivers may not support them.

Righto. So if I were using Premiere for instance, I'd be buggered. So I need to find out what special "features" my software requires, correct? Will things that don't require special features still be running as fast as if I could use the NVIDIA drivers?
Thanks for your help.

@Jamesbond007 If I was thinking of getting a new graphics card to upgrade to a 4k monitor, would it make sense then to go for an AMD card, so it's more supported in Mojave and future updates? I believe that AMD cards are what come in Macs and I use Resolve for video editing, which is compatible with AMD cards.

@Jamesbond007 If I was thinking of getting a new graphics card to upgrade to a 4k monitor, would it make sense then to go for an AMD card, so it's more supported in Mojave and future updates? I believe that AMD cards are what come in Macs and I use Resolve for video editing, which is compatible with AMD cards.

Yes, I agree it will be better for you to get an AMD card as they are natively supported in High Sierra, Mojave and future MacOS releases for some time.

Righteo. Better save up then and upgrade asap. I'm getting an issue at the moment where I can't preview jpegs and other images. I've looked into this issue and am told to enable integrated graphics. But is that not what I have done already to make my system work as it currently is?

I can't seem to get IMovie to work with my GTX 760. I get an error message that Graphics configuration not supported.
It says mt configuration does not support hardware acceleration.

So wtf?

I use DeVinci Resolve for video editing, and I'm starting to suspect that my GPU is underutilized by the software. NLEs (video editors) can be a bit picky about what cards they like and what video codecs. Especially if you're using H.264, which is a common codec out of consumer cameras. So your iMovie might play the file, but it won't allow the GPU to hardware accelerate sending all the burden to your CPU (I think). You may have better luck with a different NLE. Are you running Mojave?

Yes, I am. I can run Resolve in Windows though. Do you recommend Resolve over Lightworks?

Does it make sense to downgrade to an older version of OSX?

Last edited:
I prefer Resolve for my workflow. I’ve never used lightworks before. You’ll need resolve 16 if you want Resolve to use your GPU to hardware accelerate working with h.274/5 files. 15.3 does not do this in windows. But does on a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back