Intel Core i3 4160
Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but I just wanted to check if my parts were compatible with macOS Sierra 10.12.2, using all of the latest drivers. My build is as follows:
ASRock H97M Pro4
Intel Core i3 4160
EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked
PWM Arctic case fans
1TB Western Digital SATA HDD @ 7200 RPM

My main concern is drivers for the video card and motherboard compatibility. Thanks in advance!

Will work fine. GTX 750Ti requires nvidia web drivers Look at the Unibeast guide. 10.12 Installation

Will work fine. GTX 750Ti requires nvidia web drivers Look at the Unibeast guide. 10.12 Installation
Thanks. My next concern would be performance. I'm sure it'll be okay, but is it worth it if I already have a MacBook Pro 13" early 2015? It's got an i5-5257U and a 256GB SSD. I know the graphics will be much better on the Nvidia card, but otherwise it seems that the laptop will be better. Also, I found the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113889/en-us

Thanks. My next concern would be performance. I'm sure it'll be okay, but is it worth it if I already have a MacBook Pro 13" early 2015? It's got an i5-5257U and a 256GB SSD. I know the graphics will be much better on the Nvidia card, but otherwise it seems that the laptop will be better. Also, I found the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113889/en-us

Well the i5 in the MacBook would probably be faster than you're Core i3 4160 of course. Unless you're thinking of upgrading you're desktop. You probably be better looking at this for nvidia web drivers. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-2-367-15-10-25.209714/

That graphics card is a good choice; I have one here and it works really well. You dont mention which chassis you plan to use but there is a bonus of not needing to have a power cable for the graphics card, which helps to keep things nice and tidy inside.

Also, if your finances can stretch to it, getting a SSD instead of a mechanical hard drive would improve the performance no end.

:thumbup:

That graphics card is a good choice; I have one here and it works really well. You dont mention which chassis you plan to use but there is a bonus of not needing to have a power cable for the graphics card, which helps to keep things nice and tidy inside.

Also, if your finances can stretch to it, getting a SSD instead of a mechanical hard drive would improve the performance no end.

:thumbup:
Thanks. Ive been considering something like a 128GB SSD just for the OS and apps, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. A 7200 RPM mechanical drive still performs pretty well for what I need it to do. I may get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX82P2E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks. Ive been considering something like a 128GB SSD just for the OS and apps, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. A 7200 RPM mechanical drive still performs pretty well for what I need it to do.

You can happily do either. If you check out the prices though, especially for the smaller size SSD's, there isnt a huge difference, but performance would get a really good bump. Its a bit like the retina screens in some respects; a lot of people said after using one that they would never go back to a standard one. I think the same could be said of SSD's -v- HDD's.

You dont mention ram or a chassis in your build specs btw...

You can happily do either. If you check out the prices though, especially for the smaller size SSD's, there isnt a huge difference, but performance would get a really good bump. Its a bit like the retina screens in some respects; a lot of people said after using one that they would never go back to a standard one. I think the same could be said of SSD's -v- HDD's.

You dont mention ram or a chassis in your build specs btw...
Okay. I've definitely been considering an SSD, but I don't know if I want to spend the money on one right now.. A performance boost in the OS would be so nice though. I'll update my original post with memory and chassis info, but I don't know a whole lot about those off hand. I know I've got 8 GB of memory, but I don't remember the brand or frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back