i7 8700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built a hackintosh a little less than a year ago and it's been running fine. I've been holding off upgrading to High Sierra because I just don't want anything to break. I have updated to newer Sierra versions in the past as they've been released without a problem. I am hesitating however to install the latest security patch. I've been reading about needing to update Lilu.kext and doing some searching I do not seem to have this installed in my EFI partition or under /Library/Extentions. I downloaded the 1.2.1 version just in case I need it, but if my system has been working fine without it, do I need it?
As I'm looking at my post after the fact it probably should have been posted in the "OS X Updates" forum instead of here. Sorry.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I built a hackintosh a little less than a year ago and it's been running fine. I've been holding off upgrading to High Sierra because I just don't want anything to break. I have updated to newer Sierra versions in the past as they've been released without a problem. I am hesitating however to install the latest security patch. I've been reading about needing to update Lilu.kext and doing some searching I do not seem to have this installed in my EFI partition or under /Library/Extentions. I downloaded the 1.2.1 version just in case I need it, but if my system has been working fine without it, do I need it?
As I'm looking at my post after the fact it probably should have been posted in the "OS X Updates" forum instead of here. Sorry.

Thanks,
Mike

Lilu.kext does nothing by itself.
But other kexts can depend on it.
You can read about the various Lilu based plugins at the Lilu github README.

Thanks RehabMan! It sounds like I don't need it if I'm not using any of the plugins offered by it. For anyone as new to this as myself, I found the list here.

Just for anyone else digging around I figure I'd post this here. I was a dummy and after I installed Lilu.kext and forgot to set "inject Kexts" to yes in the configurator. They don't work for me under detect kexts, I had to change it to yes.

Just for anyone else digging around I figure I'd post this here. I was a dummy and after I installed Lilu.kext and forgot to set "inject Kexts" to yes in the configurator. They don't work for me under detect kexts, I had to change it to yes.

Does Lilu.kext and kext that rely on it have to be installed on the EFI or can they be moved/installed over to the S/L/E folder?

Does Lilu.kext and kext that rely on it have to be installed on the EFI or can they be moved/installed over to the S/L/E folder?
It's best to install it to /L/E instead of /S/L/E that is what we recommended as opposed to installing it only in kexts/other on the EFI partition. You should not install any hackintosh required kexts in /S/L/E as that is for Apple's kexts only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back