Contribute
Register

Is it worth to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
26
Motherboard
Asus Z490 TUF (WiFi)
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey tonymacx86 family! Hope we all are are doing well.
I'm web developer so actually I don't do much heavy tasks such as rendering, exporting etc. but I use photoshop.
So actually I spend my times inside a text editor mostly.

Which scares me is new m1 doesn't have virtualization so some reported android emulator and docker doesn't work. Probably they will be fixed with new versions.
AND Homebrew have issues right now(this is a must for me but there will be arm version of this package manager.)

Let's get the point
So I have been thinking about:

First: Sell my macbook air 2018 and desktop pc and get a new m1 macbook pro.
Second: Keep my macbook air. Sell my mobo cpu and rams (i5-6600k, GA-Z170 D3H, 8GB) Upgrade my system to i9-10850k, ASUS Z490 TUF PLUS and 16gb ram.

I mostly spend my time at home but sometimes I grab my laptop and go to a coffee shop to work there.
I'm asking that what would you do if you were me and is it really worth to upgrade my skylake system to commet lake?
 

Going Bald

Moderator
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
22,460
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Your hardware is equivalent to late 2015 iMac and is capable of running Big Sur (11.x). Given Apple's transition to M1 chip, depending on where the cutoff is for the next version of Mac OS, you probably have enough power in your existing hardware to run any version until Apple goes totally to the Apple Silicon and drops support for the x86 platform. Personally, I would not bother to upgrade the hackintosh.
What you might do is give it a year or two for the bugs to be worked out in the new AS and then see what the specs and actual real world capabilities of the latest MBP will be at that time and possible sell the 2018 MBP and get an Apple Silicon MBP to replace it.
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
26
Motherboard
Asus Z490 TUF (WiFi)
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Your hardware is equivalent to late 2015 iMac and is capable of running Big Sur (11.x). Given Apple's transition to M1 chip, depending on where the cutoff is for the next version of Mac OS, you probably have enough power in your existing hardware to run any version until Apple goes totally to the Apple Silicon and drops support for the x86 platform. Personally, I would not bother to upgrade the hackintosh.
What you might do is give it a year or two for the bugs to be worked out in the new AS and then see what the specs and actual real world capabilities of the latest MBP will be at that time and possible sell the 2018 MBP and get an Apple Silicon MBP to replace it.
This is the best idea probably. No need to be indecisive at this point I guess. Somehow I get my work done with my current machines. I should wait a year or two. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
 
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
175
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is the best idea probably. No need to be indecisive at this point I guess. Somehow I get my work done with my current machines. I should wait a year or two. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
I would second the recommendations here.

My Hackintosh is also roughly a ~2015 build, too. As tempting as it is upgrade to Big Sur, it's a lot of trouble (and some risk!) for a machine that is just on the margins of compatibility. And although my computer is arguably starting to reach the end of its optimum lifespan, it still gets the job done well enough and fast enough, in most cases.

The easiest thing to do would be to stick with Catalina at least until the end of the year, then reevaluate. And unless there's a pressing need, maybe even wait until 2022.

I'm sorely tempted to get a new M1 (or M?) iMac this year, if only for a new monitor. But I know I'd be better off waiting until at least the second generation of Mx iMacs. That will give Apple time to work out any kinks from the new line (and give software companies more time to play catchup), for a more seamless transition.

/two cents
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
26
Motherboard
Asus Z490 TUF (WiFi)
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would second the recommendations here.

My Hackintosh is also roughly a ~2015 build, too. As tempting as it is upgrade to Big Sur, it's a lot of trouble (and some risk!) for a machine that is just on the margins of compatibility. And although my computer is arguably starting to reach the end of its optimum lifespan, it still gets the job done well enough and fast enough, in most cases.

The easiest thing to do would be to stick with Catalina at least until the end of the year, then reevaluate. And unless there's a pressing need, maybe even wait until 2022.

I'm sorely tempted to get a new M1 (or M?) iMac this year, if only for a new monitor. But I know I'd be better off waiting until at least the second generation of Mx iMacs. That will give Apple time to work out any kinks from the new line (and give software companies more time to play catchup), for a more seamless transition.

/two cents
I ended up with buying both. Do I regret? Yeah probably. I don't use the MacBook much I work at home but it's still a need for me, I am on my new Hackintosh mostly. The old one I gave it away to my sister for office work.
The new MacBook: Doesn't have any compatiblity issues on my side also it's not like it's a bridge between arm and x86. If having windows is a must m1 Mac is a totally problem.
It just runs everything well like an intel Mac on macOS.
About my regret: It'd be wise for me going with an dock and MacBook using it as a desktop and a laptop.
But I still boot up in windows and play games sometimes.
If your hack is stable on Catalina I'd suggest you to keep it as long as it goes.
Hope you managed to disable software update's notifications :)
 
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
175
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I ended up with buying both. Do I regret? Yeah probably. I don't use the MacBook much I work at home but it's still a need for me, I am on my new Hackintosh mostly. The old one I gave it away to my sister for office work.
The new MacBook: Doesn't have any compatiblity issues on my side also it's not like it's a bridge between arm and x86. If having windows is a must m1 Mac is a totally problem.
It just runs everything well like an intel Mac on macOS.
About my regret: It'd be wise for me going with an dock and MacBook using it as a desktop and a laptop.
But I still boot up in windows and play games sometimes.
If your hack is stable on Catalina I'd suggest you to keep it as long as it goes.
Hope you managed to disable software update's notifications :)

Thank you for the update! Sorry you're having regrets. I appreciate that you took time to explain and share why.

Good point about dual booting into Windows. That had slipped my mind.

Like you, I still sometimes boot into Windows (albeit *rarely*) to play games. Mainly it's just for my Oculus Quest 2 (some older/graphics heavy games require a link to a PC). It's a modest consideration (it's just a few games), but it's still a small strike against a quick jump to M1.

There are also other games on the MacOS (e.g. Civilization and Cities Skylines) that I'd like to see ported over to M1 before switching over to the new chip. (Or at least I'd want to make sure Rosetta could run them in emulation without any big drop in performance)

But I much prefer the MacOS environment to Windows, so sooner or later I'll make the leap to M1. Just trying hard not to let the desire for the latest and greatest get ahead of usability. :)

Cheers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top