Motherboard
Gigabyte - Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
H6850
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
just asking......is it worth upgrade to lion when you got S.Leopard 10.6.8 working flawlessly.

Just wondering....cause i don't want to mess up anything if there isn't any big change.

My advise:
Get a spare drive, (100GB will do) format and create 2 (50GB) partitions GUID as Snow & Lion
Clone your working 10.6.8 to new Snow partition
Run Multibeast and install boot loader to Snow
Test booting of your new Snow clone drive

Then if you attempt to go to Lion, then use Xmove on current Snow,

your new spare will serve as your backup 10.6.8 and future Lion.

Cloning software.
-superduper
-carbon copy

ijhu said:
My advise:
Get a spare drive, (100GB will do) format and create 2 (50GB) partitions GUID as Snow & Lion
Clone your working 10.6.8 to new Snow partition
Run Multibeast and install boot loader to Snow
Test booting of your new Snow clone drive

Then if you attempt to go to Lion, then use Xmove on current Snow,

your new spare will serve as your backup 10.6.8 and future Lion.

Cloning software.
-superduper
-carbon copy
Brilliant's ideas, but i just don't know how to clone my hard drive if i bought another hard drive.

Thats lovely advice to see if it works or not but frankly I havent updated either of my genuine macs to 10.7 nor have I even considered 10.7 for the hackintosh. There just isnt enough added to 10.7 for me to believe its worth the effort or the money.

To me the only worthwhile thing in Lion is that you can resize all windows on any side or corner, like in Windows.
That said, I stayed with 10.6.8 :D

georgeba said:
To me the only worthwhile thing in Lion is that you can resize all windows on any side or corner, like in Windows.
That said, I stayed with 10.6.8 :D

You could look into Moom. While it wont let you resize from any corner it has made resizing and placing windows a ton easier for me.

Running 10.5.8 on my MacBook Air and it works great and have done so for the three last years - My next MacBook Air will be delivered with Lion :D
On my iMac I have two partitions and runs both 10.6.8 and 10.7.1..
On my Mac Mini I runs 10.7.1..
Hackintoshes runs 10.6.7, 10.6.8 and 10.7.1.

The Hackintoshes have two boot partitions so I can tweak on one partition at a time and boot from the other if something goes wrong as it does "most" of the time...
And I have even an external disk or two with a cloned partition and a plain vanilla installation in spare so I can connect and boot from when something goes really wrong.

In some cases when it is the bootloader that have bugs I can boot via the USB stick bootloader (bootable Lion install).

Most of the times you get stuck are due to one changed text string in a file or a combination of kexts, or bugs in a new release of a bootloader - so it is needed to have alternate boot options.

My advice are as follows:
Make a bootable USB stick with Lion installer and a bootloader that can boot any 10.6.x and 10.7.x systems, and have one spare disk or USB stick with a 100% plain vanilla 10.7.x installation - plain vanilla here means that you only install 10.7.x and absolutely non others like kexts or running MultiBeast or installing a bootloader of any type.

With the bootable Lion install USB stick you can run diskutility and also run terminal and fix most problems if you know how to use it, or boot from the 100% plain vanilla installation (on most hardware that supports Lion) and use GUI tools like MultiBeast, KextBeast, Chameleon Wizard, DSDT editor etc.. to "repair" your ordinary installation.

jame2011 said:
just asking......is it worth upgrade to lion when you got S.Leopard 10.6.8 working flawlessly.

Just wondering....cause i don't want to mess up anything if there isn't any big change.

Depends, if you use SL for browsing or to do day to day stuff, you shouldn't have need for Lion. But If you do Xcode and you want to use the latest Xcode IDE then you need to move on to Lion as the latest version of Xcode requires the latest version of OSX. But also, some of the look and feel have been updated in Lion i.e. expose. Overall, it was well worth it to me. Also I think Lion detects hardware better w/o much modification compared to SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back