Contribute
Register

Is it worth going for hackintosh desktop instead of iMac or Mac Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell
CPU
intel
Graphics
intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I had been looking for a good hackintosh that gives the same reliability, performance, safety as Apple macs do.

I am a game developer. I use Unity or Unreal for game development. As you know, I'll release games for both iOS and Android and Windows Store. For all these I thought of buying a Macbook, iMac or a Mac mini. But none of these build configurations are better for my requirement. If they have I had to spend lot of money into it.

Mac mini - A basic computer with very less performance. 2014 minis are even more worse as per reviews. About 70,000 rupees for a model with SSD.
Macbook Pro - basic model with low performance and almost same graphics as mini at basic price. Too pricey for just extra 8 GB ram, 1 GB graphics about 1,40,000 rupees.
iMac - Too pricey. 1 lakh rupees for 21.5 inches for 1GB graphics card model in indian currency.

Coming to hackintosh build as per Customac guide. All are in rupees. 63 rupees == 1 dollar.

1. CPU i7 4790K - 23000
2. RAM 8 GB - 7000 Crucial Ballistix Sport
3. Case 5500 Corsair
4. PSU - 4000
5. 2GB graphics - 11000 (I have GALAXY GeForce GT 740 in my cart. Please ensure if it works with hackintosh).
6. Motherboard - 10000 Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
7. SSD - 4500 Samsung Evo
8. HDD - 2TB - 6500 Seagate Barracuda
9. Monitor - 9700 Benq
10. TP link Wifi adapter

As you can see I can get stunning build for around 80,000 rupees.

Coming to the actual point.
1. I need a system with good performance with no issues in hardware at least for upto 8 - 12 months.
2. Is it worth going for hackintosh rather than for real macs.
3. After I make a hackintosh how much marks it can get out of 10 each in terms of performance, reliability, my usage as a gaming guy, hardware failure tolerance etc.

Please guide me, as I am going to buy all these items as fresh. So that I should not get disappointed with any of the factors I mentioned.

I also use Xcode for iOS and android SDK on mac. I need to dualboot with Windows also for app stores.

Finally I just want the system to be stable enough.

Last edited:
Kumar, you'll need to clearly list the motherboard make and model
not just the price if you want us to evaluate it.

Hi, I have edited my question. Listed motherboard config.

Hi, I have edited my question. Listed motherboard config.

That's a good cpu/motherboard combination, a K cpu with a z97M board. My only question
left would be is the PSU Haswell ready and is the wattage high enough for your usage.
Try using an online power requirement calculator and enter all of your hardware into that.

The power supply requirements match for my configuration. A 500 - 650W PSU is good for that. And my corsair PSU fit this requirement.

All of the items are in my online cart. Not bought. Waiting for response confirmation. Because I want to purchase for only hackintoshing. If you feel the system after installation of OS X remains stable without extra work for troubleshooting the hardware and drivers rather than using it, then please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back