Contribute
Register

Is it usefull to edit kext packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In order to optimize performance?

For example, I have IONetworkingFamily.kext. According to the system profiler/Ethernet, only one plugin inside that kext package is used.

Can I safely delete the ones not used? Is it helpfull?

Thanks!

f3.png

f4.png

olaf001 said:
In order to optimize performance?

For example, I have IONetworkingFamily.kext. According to the system profiler/Ethernet, only one plugin inside that kext package is used.

Can I safely delete the ones not used? Is it helpfull?

Thanks!
Unless you absolutely know what you are doing, do not delete anything in /System/Library/Extensions or inside of any kexts.

By deleting the wrong items you can make your system un-bootable or effect it's stability.

If you want to increase performance, look into over clocking.

Not even the ones that won't be used by my system? Can deleting ATI kext files really harm my NVIDIA based system?

Just trying to understand the concept of kext. ;-)

olaf001 said:
Not even the ones that won't be used by my system? Can deleting ATI kext files really harm my NVIDIA based system?

Just trying to understand the concept of kext. ;-)
If you don't have an ATI card, the ATI kexts aren't loaded. So by deleting them, you might save a couple of millseconds at boot time, BFD.

Also, not having kexts may break future updates and the missing kexts will most likely be restored during the next update.

Unless you are trying to install on a USB stick, NOT RECOMMENDED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back