Contribute
Register

Is it time for TonyMacx86 to make the transition to Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie

Motherboard
Z77
CPU
Core i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So no offense to Chameleon/Chimera, which has served me very well over the past couple of years. But in the wake of new iMessage issues and the amazing development being done over in the Clover community, don't you think it's about time for this site and its software (Unibeast/Multibeast) to begin the transition to Clover? I understand many tutorials and software would have to be reevaluated, but I can't wait for the day when this community moves toward the new Hackintoshing scene which I firmly believe revolves around Clover. Just my two cents!

What transition is necessary? There's plenty of guides here about using Clover. There's no reason not to install OS X with unibeast and use Clover as your bootloader if you prefer. Nothing needs to change in Mutibeast to install your required kext. So why try to fix something that's not broke? Not everyone cares 'bout iMessage and the jury's still out on if the problem will get resolved...

I guess it's fine to approach the bootloader question with the "don't mess with it if it works" mindset, but as computer hardware/software slowly becomes more UEFI-oriented, I think support for Clover will become more necessary. This, and more comprehensive guides, which would have been helpful in my long transition to Clover.

One problem is that people who solely use solutions from this forum are not fully aware of the benefits that Clover offers; I know I sure wasn't for a long time. Maybe at some point the administrators here will pull a Chimera and make a more user-oriented branch of Clover (named something like Cloverleaf of Cloudberry, lol) and include it in future versions of Multibeast.

Chameleon/Chimera is a great bootloader, but change will soon be necessary in my opinion. ;)

I guess it's fine to approach the bootloader question with the "don't mess with it if it works" mindset, but as computer hardware/software slowly becomes more UEFI-oriented, I think support for Clover will become more necessary. This, and more comprehensive guides, which would have been helpful in my long transition to Clover.

One problem is that people who solely use solutions from this forum are not fully aware of the benefits that Clover offers; I know I sure wasn't for a long time. Maybe at some point the administrators here will pull a Chimera and make a more user-oriented branch of Clover (named something like Cloverleaf of Cloudberry, lol) and include it in future versions of Multibeast.

Chameleon/Chimera is a great bootloader, but change will soon be necessary in my opinion. ;)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html is a step in that direction, giving those interested a chance to "try-before-buy". It is, however, the absolute minimum requirement to boot with. No patches on the fly or anything else of that nature. In this way, it is almost the same as Chimera/Chameleon. You still need additional help to get a 100% working build.

One of the main differences between Chimera and Clover is "user friendliness". Chimera/Chameleon has been around a long time and is a mature set of software. It is limited to the minimum required to boot a PC setup with OS X installed. To truly get 100% working hardware, additional kexts are required and in some cases, patches to existing kexts have to be made. Everyone knows this and expects some problems in the initial setup of a new build.

Clover is not as user friendly and requires a greater knowledge set than Chameleon of how everything works together. For some time, especially until board OEMs abandon Legacy BIOS mode there is no great incentive for the majority of casual users to undertake the effort it takes to learn everything you need to know to make Clover truly effective as a boot loader for your particular hardware.

And therein lies another reason it will not be more popular - it has to be tailored to your hardware to be truly effective. Not everyone is willing or able to put in the time required to learn how to do this.
I have been working with Clover for more than a year now and still haven't mastered everything it will do.

The "because of new iMessage issues" reasoning is flawed - it affects Clover as well.

Clover setup is easier and easier because the Clover developers are doing more and more hardware detection, but it's not perfect yet. The Tonymacx86 guide worked flawlessly. It's one of those things that if you want to reinstall from scratch, you should go Clover and for a new install for a non-noon, I'd recommend it. The point of Unibeast and Multibeast is that it's extremely easy and it's just well-described checkboxes in a wizard. Even with Clover Configurator, there's a lot of apocryphal checkboxes and text entry. The documentation is thorough, but it's kind of bad because it doesn't talk about why you'd pick something. For n00bz I think offering multibeast and unibeast are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back