Contribute
Register

Is it smarter to build a kickass 4th Gen chip machine or a decent 5th Gen chip machine for Video Edi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Is it smarter to build a kickass 4th Gen chip computer or a decent 5th Gen chip computer for Video Editing?

There are 2 different types of builds I could do after I take advantage of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Firstly the budget will be roughly about $1600, so when giving advice please take that in mind. I'm primarily cinematographer and video editor and I use mostly my Canon 5D Mark 2 and my Panasonic GH4 that shoots 4k. I am not a gamer so that should be factored in the build.
Let me also add that my brother in law works with computers for his job and he will be assisting me. I might have to build this computer initially as a PC then later make an extra boot drive for Mac.

I want a computer that will work well with Adobe creative suite, for 3-4 years and I can upgrade bits and pieces along the way. My dilemma is I could build a really good computer with a i7 4770k and a great 4gb video card and some good ram and 2 SSDs (1 for boot-drive and 1 for edit drive).
I could also buy a good i7 4790 type computer at Costco and add an SSD drive, but it would have an average video card, ram, power supply and I'm not sure how much expanding I could do. The Costco route though does give a great warranty.

OR...

I can try and future proof it as much as I can by buying a i7 5820k, 2011 v3 motherboard, ddr4 ram and a 2 gig video card and one SSD and so on. I feel I might not get as much with this build and I might have to wait a bit to turn it into a Hackintosh but this type build may last a lot longer and also give me the most ability to upgrade and keep for about 4-5 years.

So there are the parameters of the build and I also live close to a Microcenter that has crazy good deals on computer parts. I can get the i7 5820k processor for $299!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Going Intel high end is always a better long term move. The concern though is that OS X in it's current iteration doesn't run on X99 without taking additional steps. If you feel like you can do the install then X99 will be the way to go. If you prefer a more Vanilla install at this time then Haswell Z87/97 will be the better route.

Now, I can say that if your going to work with FCPX then creating Proxy and/or Optimized media from your 5D and GH4 media will give you the best results. If your going to use Premiere Pro Cs(Which it seems like you will be) and beyond then usually your concern will be drive speed. Meaning can you feed the media to your CPU and GPU consistently?

Lastly, do you foresee yourself working with RAW formats? R3D, Cinema DNG, S-Log(Not a real RAW format), etc...? If you do then X99 with windows and/or OS X, will be the better route.

No matter how you look at it you will need, two GPUs, a couple of 2-4TB drives in RAID, and an SSD for caching are going to give you the best performance. If you plan to OC then off course a performance cooler is in order.

Good luck and always build for what you will be doing in the future like 3-5 years into the future.

Thanks so much for the advice and yes I do think building the computer with the core of i7 5820k and x99 MB would be the best for the future. I can always wait to transfer to Mac OS later when its a bit easier. Right now on New Egg the i7 4770k chip is $334 and I can get the 5820k chip at Microcenter for $299.
I think 6 months from now I would probably be upset with myself for not doing the 5820k computer build.

Why do I need 2 GPUs? If I can get a really nice 2gb card with high cuda scores, shouldn't that be enough for 1080 24p footage and sometimes 4k footage at 1/2 resolution in adobe premiere?
Also as for the drives, at first I was hoping to edit my smaller projects on a 256 gb SSD then when the project is finished move all the assets to a regular hd for storage.
Wouldn't it always be faster to edit off an SSD?

When it comes to video editing - "More is More..."

I used FPCX to edit a live show shot in HD with three cameras and eight audio tracks. My Ivy Bridge system chokes unless I create optimized media. Go for the gusto, two GPU's will bring a smile to your editing days (nights?)

Ok with that in mind since Im on a budget, should I save money and get a good 2gb card then get another later down the road? Is it better to have two 2GB cards or one 4GB card at first?

Yes for my company we use Adobe Creative Cloud membership and it works well on both Macs and PCs.
I'm in Los Angeles and pretty much now its either Avid or Adobe Premiere. Almost all the content I shoot is in 1080 24p and I will try to slowly move into using more 4k footage with my Panasonic GH4.

Im coming from a late 2009 Imac 2.66 Intel I5 with a ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB GPU. I'm thinking this upgrade will be huge as far as performance but I would like to not have to do any upgrades for at least a few years with the new system.

Yes for my company we use Adobe Creative Cloud membership and it works well on both Macs and PCs.
I'm in Los Angeles and pretty much now its either Avid or Adobe Premiere. Almost all the content I shoot is in 1080 24p and I will try to slowly move into using more 4k footage with my Panasonic GH4.

Im coming from a late 2009 Imac 2.66 Intel I5 with a ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB GPU. I'm thinking this upgrade will be huge as far as performance but I would like to not have to do any upgrades for at least a few years with the new system.
I am an editor working in FCP and also using resolve.
Like you I plan to go with th 5920. To bad your source at $299 is only for in store pickup

Okay, then you all should stick to nVidia GPUs. That way you can get CUDA support in After Effects. The entire CC suite but one program will utilize AMD cards. I would say get two GTX760s with 4GB of RAM. That will get you ready for DaVinci Resolve and you shouldn't have any issues with PPro.

I know what you mean. A lot of places have gone to PPro but FCPX is getting traction now a days.

Oh, and lastly. Get the CPU above the 5820. That chip only has 28 PCI lanes. One of the reasons to go X99 or any other Intel high end is the extra PCI lanes. The last thing you want is to be bottle necked because your RAID card, R3D Rocket, or GPUs are not able to fully utilize an 8 or 16 PCI lane slot.

Just my .02.

Thanks for the info solidww, Id love to get the cpu next higher up than 5820k but as I said earlier I do have a budget of $1600 or less to stick to and as for 2 graphic cards, Maybe I will get a good 2gb card then add another later.
I do think the GTX760 is the way to go and have heard that EVGA are the best cards. My ? is it better to spend about $60 more and get a 4gb version or is the 2 GB version good enough for starters. As for PPRO for an editing, it just an all around better platform than FCPX and if any of your clients have Adobe CS then you can open the files with them as well on a Mac or PC, which you cant do with FCPX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back