Contribute
Register

Is it Possible to Upgrade Bios Without a CPU for Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 rev. 1.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i5 7400
Graphics
HD630
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When this motherboard came out it was originally meant to run with Skylake CPUs, but with F20 bios or newer it is also able to run Kaby Lake processors. I already have a Kaby i5 processor, if I buy one of these boards with an older bios installed does that mean that I will need a Skylake cpu to get it running so that I can upgrade the bios to make it ready to work with a Kaby Lake processor?

And one other question. The board has four RAM slots. I've always run RAM in pairs so I don't even know what would happen if I only had a single stick of memory to run with this motherboard. I read the manual for this motherboard and they're not really clear on the question so I'm asking. Can I run this board with one stick of memory? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
When this motherboard came out it was originally meant to run with Skylake CPUs, but with F20 bios or newer it is also able to run Kaby Lake processors. I already have a Kaby i5 processor, if I buy one of these boards with an older bios installed does that mean that I will need a Skylake cpu to get it running so that I can upgrade the bios to make it ready to work with a Kaby Lake processor?
Yes
The board has four RAM slots. I've always run RAM in pairs so I don't even know what would happen if I only had a single stick of memory to run with this motherboard. I read the manual for this motherboard and they're not really clear on the question so I'm asking. Can I run this board with one stick of memory?
Yes, but it's always better to run ram in dual channel mode.

Well I got some good news today. The person I'm buying the board from will update the bios for me before he sends it out. And I found a good deal on another matching 8gb stick of RAM. So I will have 16gb (2x8) and an i5 7400 cpu for my Quicksilver G4 case build. This is very exciting for me. If you look at my signature info, You can see that I'll beTaking a big step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back