Contribute
Register

Is it possible to run Snow Leopard with my build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Yosemite is runinng perfectly without any patches:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/146072-success-no-patches-yosemite-asrock-fatal1ty-h87-performance-xeon-e3-1231-v3-r9-280-a.html#post903505

But I love Snow Leopard's look. I know it's unsupported but I think I still want to dual boot it... I have it in virtualbox but It's really laggy. Could it be possible that it can be installed on my build?

ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance

Xeon E3 1231 V3
Asus AMD R9 280

Yosemite is runinng perfectly without any patches:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/146072-success-no-patches-yosemite-asrock-fatal1ty-h87-performance-xeon-e3-1231-v3-r9-280-a.html#post903505

But I love Snow Leopard's look. I know it's unsupported but I think I still want to dual boot it... I have it in virtualbox but It's really laggy. Could it be possible that it can be installed on my build?

ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance

Xeon E3 1231 V3
Asus AMD R9 280

Can be installed, but will only boot with iBoot Haswell and will never work properly. Ram will be limited to 4Go.

Can be installed, but will only boot with iBoot Haswell and will never work properly. Ram will be limited to 4Go.

I installed iBoot Haswell to USB with restore option, but when I boot with USB it only shows black screen and then it boots to Yosemite...

I installed iBoot Haswell to USB with restore option, but when I boot with USB it only shows black screen and then it boots to Yosemite...

That will not work. iBoot needs to be used on a CD. Even then it will only work in safe mode running it on your hardware. Graphics will be glitchy and it is not as stable as a proper installation on supported hardware.

It is quite easy to pick up inexpensive hardware that will run Snow Leopard properly. Add a new SSD or HDD, perhaps some more RAM & a better GPU like a HD 5770 or similar and you have a remarkably capable machine that will run Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Apps fast.

Below are two options that are very easy to get hold of as they have been used in huge numbers in offices all over the world. These are often available for little or no money if you know where to look.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-dc7900-100-10-9-4-mavericks-working-vga.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/97797-dell-optiplex-755-760-easily-convertible.html

Add a new SSD or HDD, perhaps some more RAM & a better GPU like a HD 5770 or similar and you have a remarkably capable machine that will run Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Apps fast.

Are you trolling? :lol:

I use an Optiplex 760 to run Snow Leopard. Its an old machine and works fine with old now unsupported software.

Why I need to add new hard disk or more RAM, I got 8GB now. And you said HD 5770 is better GPU than R9 280.

Why I need to add new hard disk or more RAM, I got 8GB now. And you said HD 5770 is better GPU than R9 280.

Actually read my comment again. This time bear in mind that I am not comparing the older Dell or HP to your current build.
I am suggesting them as possible hardware alternatives that can run Snow Leopard with supported hardware. AMD 5770 - top line card available on the Mac Pro when Snow Leopard was available. I was suggesting adding an SSD or HDD to either of these HP or Dell machines. I was suggesting using 8GB of RAM - that will be DDR2 800MHz RAM in a maximum of 4 sticks of 2GB which is the maximum that these machines will take.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, as you were keen to run Snow Leopard I suggested hardware that will run it easily. When you look at the hardware that Snow Leopard was designed to run on and then look at what we buy that is brand new today there is a big difference. The modern version of OS X is now Yosemite and today the R9 280X is the modern version of the HD 5770.

Actually read my comment again. This time bear in mind that I am not comparing the older Dell or HP to your current build.
I am suggesting them as possible hardware alternatives that can run Snow Leopard with supported hardware. AMD 5770 - top line card available on the Mac Pro when Snow Leopard was available. I was suggesting adding an SSD or HDD to either of these HP or Dell machines. I was suggesting using 8GB of RAM - that will be DDR2 800MHz RAM in a maximum of 4 sticks of 2GB which is the maximum that these machines will take.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, as you were keen to run Snow Leopard I suggested hardware that will run it easily. When you look at the hardware that Snow Leopard was designed to run on and then look at what we buy that is brand new today there is a big difference. The modern version of OS X is now Yosemite and today the R9 280X is the modern version of the HD 5770.

Okay, maybe I don't install SL then. Just installed Mavericks because Yosemite looks ugly.

Okay, maybe I don't install SL then. Just installed Mavericks because Yosemite looks ugly.

Its totally your call - I was just chiming in with some alternative hardware options for Snow Leopard. I know that many still wish use it for some apps that do not work with more modern versions of OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back