Contribute
Register

Is it possible to have dual boot of 2 Mac installations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion
CPU
Graphics
AMD HD 5670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I just bought an SSD, I plugged it in, and installed Lion on in using UniBeast. The installation finished successfully, but when I try to boot using the UniBeast USB stick, it gives me a kernel panic with the error message "No HPETs available, CPU configured incorrectly" then it says something about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.
My other Mac installation (named Lion as well) is still working flawless!

I though it may be because I'm having two Mac OSs, so i unplugged the SATA cable from the HDD. This gave me bigger problems:
1-The BIOS settings were resetted. But i changed them back.
2-The SSD was sort of formatted, and when I try to format it to do another installation, it gives me the error "Unable to write to the last block of the device"!

Now, my other HDD is still running flawless. But I cannot format the SSD to get Lion on it?
Anythoughts? If I fix this, how can i bypass the kernel panic issue?

Look up Gparted and run that to partition your drive, with hopefully more success. I would also unplug the SATA drive while installing on the SSD just to remove any problems.

Well, I was able to format it using Windows, the normal way.. It is working NTFS and everything is fine.
When I format it in Mac OS X it gives me the same error, and goes back to unformatted state!

Besides, i didn't notice much speed difference, maybe because my motherboard only supports SATA 3 GB/s. The write speed is about 50 MB/s only, almost the same as my USB 2.0 HDD!

any thoughs?!

ZaYoOoD said:
Well, I was able to format it using Windows, the normal way.. It is working NTFS and everything is fine.
When I format it in Mac OS X it gives me the same error, and goes back to unformatted state!

Besides, i didn't notice much speed difference, maybe because my motherboard only supports SATA 3 GB/s. The write speed is about 50 MB/s only, almost the same as my USB 2.0 HDD!

any thoughs?!

I have a SATA 2 SSD and I get 70 MB/s write and like 250 MB/s read on Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back