Contribute
Register

Is it possible to build a powerful MacPro but in a smaller case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some options for you depending on what you require. How big do you want the case? Do you require a video card? I think you made mention of it. I ask because you asked about something similar to ATX or something similar to mini or micro ATX. How many PCIe slots do you need? Can you do with one for the GPU? You can add WiFi if you switch out the on-board card and patch it.
I appreciate your reply. Sorry for not getting back sooner. I prefer a case small as possible but will still allow me to build a MACPro type system having good graphics for video editing & rendering, occasional or moderate gaming (I'm not into heavy or hard core gaming) I also do need WiFi & Bluetooth compatibility. I have no way to get online without WiFi.

I havn't built a Windows based or hackingtosh for at least 4 years now so I'm sorta out of the latest tech loop in hackintosh hardware options. It won't take me much to catch up. Are there any MB of today you may have knowledge having excellent existing onboard graphics for what I seek or will I still need to add a better jammed up graphics card? I pretty much have concluded if I want WiFi and BlueTooth I'll need to add a certain type of manufactured Broadcom WiFi card to the MB by either swapping out the existing onboard WiFi card or adding a Broadcom WiFi card to the MB PCIE slot..

I possibly may be asking a lot regarding my desired options in a small case; if so I'll simply buy a ATX MB & put it all in a Mid Tower ATX case. I really do prefer using a Micro ATX or mini ITX board for the build but logic has me thinking it won't be possible obviously by my desired options requiring the adequate power supply thus making my options simply to large to contain within a smaller MB & case unless you know something I don't and I can actually have all my options with a good power supply in such a miniature set up due to my limited living space.

Any thoughts or suggestions if you have I welcome. I will follow up to any reply. Sometimes it may take a day or two due to my work schedule. I am taking my time building this hackintosh. It is very important to me I get the hardware right before I order so I have none to minimal compatibility surprises. I been through this a few times in previous years to know now take the time to research before you build a hackintosh.

I have an iMAC now and at 1st loved it but as time went on over a couple years the iMAC is becoming buggy for what I believe is from dust collecting in the system and you're limited being able to blow it all out adequately without an irritating, inconvienient and time consuming disassembly of the iMAC which I'll have to do regardless but it has made me really apreciate when I had my former hackintosh just a few years ago remembering just how easy it was to access the hardware to keep it clean and an ocasional re-apply of CPU thermal paste was no biggie & so convenient versus being so much more difficut doing the exact same with the iMAC.

When it comes to having an ITX board with GPU and small case, your choices are very limited. I can only think of 2 cases that one I seen online and one actually use. The one I seen online is this the Apex MI-008. Its in the Buyers Guide on this website. It can hold a single slot GPU. The only GPUs that I could think of that can be used and compatible with Mojave are the Radeon Pro WX Series starting from the 4100 and up. Those are workstation cards but can fit in that case. Im sure there are other low end cards but those are probably the more powerful ones. I use this case:

ISTARUSA MINIITX BOX FIT 1U FLEX WITH 1U 200W FLEX ATX POWER SUPPLY

I modified this case. I drilled holes on top for better ventilation for the GPU. I have an Intel i5-8400 and a Radeon Pro WX 5100 8GB installed in it. It is very tight in there. The case comes with a mount to use for 2 SSDs but I removed it because it was messing with the fan on the GPU. The motherboard I use can use 2 M.2 SSDs so I am planning on buying another M.2 SSD for a storage drive. Ive never pushed this build so I don't know how it can handle loads.

Now, for cases without a GPU and strictly onboard graphics this is an excellent case to use. You can put an i7 in it and install a better CPU Cooler that can handle it. Probably a Cryorig C7 but those are hard to find inexpensive now. Im sure there are others out there that can handle an i7. The Noctua NH-L9i can handle an Intel i7-9700. According to the specs it has a 65W TDP and the Noctua can handle that.

Now there is another case that is almost as small as a Mac mini. You can still install an Intel i7-9700 with that Noctua cooler. Here is a link to it:

M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure

M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure, Silver version

Ive built in this case and it is very easy to install. This case can also be mounted on the back of a monitor as well. Look at the pics. This is a BIG help if you are trying to limit space.

Hope this info helps.

The only GPUs that I could think of that can be used and compatible with Mojave are the Radeon Pro WX Series starting from the 4100 and up.
Those are low profile cards (well, the higher end WX cards are not low profile I think but normal size). If you choose a cube type case (like for mini-ITX) it can use short normal height cards which have vastly better assortment compared to low profile ones. I myself have low profile case and wondering if I should get Radeon RX 560 Low Profile or WX series card.

I have an Intel i5-8400 and a Radeon Pro WX 5100 8GB installed in it.
Was it easy to get WX working properly? How much modifying system needed (kexts etc)?

According to the specs it has a 65W TDP and the Noctua can handle that.
I bought also that Noctua (ugly) but I still miss some components before I can try the system. There are though reports that i7 8700 TDP is optimistic (applies to base clock speed, it is more in turbo mode) and 8700K is worse (higher clock speed). I have ordered i7 8700. Still, a good cooler should handle it, provided case allows ventilation.

Those are low profile cards (well, the higher end WX cards are not low profile I think but normal size). If you choose a cube type case (like for mini-ITX) it can use short normal height cards which have vastly better assortment compared to low profile ones. I myself have low profile case and wondering if I should get Radeon RX 560 Low Profile or WX series card.
The WX 4100 is a low profile card but comes with full bracket. The 5100 and 7100 are full size. They all fit in that Apex case.

Was it easy to get WX working properly? How much modifying system needed (kexts etc)?
Very easy. I already had an RX560 installed and working so I just swapped them out. It recognized it right away.

I bought also that Noctua (ugly) but I still miss some components before I can try the system. There are though reports that i7 8700 TDP is optimistic (applies to base clock speed, it is more in turbo mode) and 8700K is worse (higher clock speed). I have ordered i7 8700. Still, a good cooler should handle it, provided case allows ventilation.
True that the Noctua is kinda ugly. But it can do the job. If you can't see the fan it really shouldn't matter so long as the fan can handle the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back