Contribute
Register

Is it possible to build a powerful MacPro but in a smaller case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I'm looking for some good intellectual expierienced hackintosh advice for a particular build. I'm not necessarily a total newbie to hackintosh. I've successfully built a few ATX hackintoshes with much enjoyment & eventually took the plunge to buy an original iMac however the iMac is now showing signs of overheating & constant mouse freezing speaking to me it logically will soon require a full tear down to access all the internal hardware for cleaning out all dust and a re-apply of thermal CPU paste and what a time consuming pain in the butt I must say.

I now live in a very small space; an RV to be exact & think it is now time to go back to my roots building a hackintosh for a back up machine to my iMac that will further be much more convenient, more easily accessible for maintenance which is something I never considered with the iMAC being the opposite inconvenience for simple maintenance or doing something so simple as blowing out dust and a reapply of CPU thermal paste every so often after long term uses.

Now that you know my objective my question is it possible to build in a small case (do to my limited living space) but an equivalent MacPro hackintosh preferably a full ATX in a small case if not then a mini or micro ATX hackintosh that however still as powerful as a macPro & can handle demanding resources such as rendering video for editing?

I welcome any suggestions about what main components will work to accomplish my objective smalll but comperable powerful hackintosh/MacPro build regarding: Case, MB, CPU, Power Supply and video card,. The rest I can easily figure out from there. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes time to share knowledge.

You may want to consider this build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...md-radeon-rx-570-lg-4k-27-ips-monitor.277811/

There are plenty of build guides available here:

Thank you for taking the time with providing those options. I will review and consider. I also forgot to mention I need a hackintosh compatible mother board with WiFi capability or any ideas that I can add WiFi capability to my build as WiFi is my only means for online access.

Hi, I am in the process of building something similar. (OK, a bit more humble)
First, size of the new Mac Pro is 52,9 X 45 X 21,8 cm. All of the volume is in use, so if you want smaller you have to give up of something.
I chose to use M1 case (250x100x315mm) and had to give up full size GPU, 3,5" drives and kilowatt PSU, (+ possibly ventilation..:-D
There are perfectly good mid size cases available for m-ATX and even for full ATX. If you though care about aesthetics choosing may prove to be difficult :)
If you want to use Xeon processors there is not so much knowledge about them (I suppose), i7/i9 is better tested.
If you need Thunderbolt you need to choose right MB, seems it cannot be added plug&play to any MB.
WiFi is not available on MB when using OS X, you have to get a separate card (FV-T919 or like).

Have a look at these two case. I did a build for a friend with the Cerberus and it's very small.

Hi, I am in the process of building something similar. (OK, a bit more humble)
First, size of the new Mac Pro is 52,9 X 45 X 21,8 cm. All of the volume is in use, so if you want smaller you have to give up of something.
I chose to use M1 case (250x100x315mm) and had to give up full size GPU, 3,5" drives and kilowatt PSU, (+ possibly ventilation..:-D
There are perfectly good mid size cases available for m-ATX and even for full ATX. If you though care about aesthetics choosing may prove to be difficult :)
If you want to use Xeon processors there is not so much knowledge about them (I suppose), i7/i9 is better tested.
If you need Thunderbolt you need to choose right MB, seems it cannot be added plug&play to any MB.
WiFi is not available on MB when using OS X, you have to get a separate card (FV-T919 or like).

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure WiFi isn't possible without a separate card (FV-T919 or like) as I see that Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Mb listed in the TonyMac Buyers guide section under listed compatible MB.

Have a look at these two case. I did a build for a friend with the Cerberus and it's very small.

Thanks for your reply and idea. Those cases are very nice but very expensive and not so interested at those high prices as I find it sorta unessessary to spend that much to simply have a small case and prefer under that circumstance a less expensive mid sized ATX case.

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure WiFi isn't possible without a separate card (FV-T919 or like) as I see that Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Mb listed in the TonyMac Buyers guide section under listed compatible MB.
Not sure :) but what I read from TonyMac it seems to say no mobo does have compatible wifi – all systems need separate wifi card. Even when mobo is compatible it does not include onboard wifi. That problem is because OS X system architecture. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are some options for you depending on what you require. How big do you want the case? Do you require a video card? I think you made mention of it. I ask because you asked about something similar to ATX or something similar to mini or micro ATX. How many PCIe slots do you need? Can you do with one for the GPU? You can add WiFi if you switch out the on-board card and patch it.

Not sure :) but what I read from TonyMac it seems to say no mobo does have compatible wifi – all systems need separate wifi card. Even when mobo is compatible it does not include onboard wifi. That problem is because OS X system architecture. Please correct me if I am wrong.
After more research you're seemingly correct that no matter with either using an equipped MB w/onboard existing WiFi or no WiFi onboard regarding a hackingtosh you'll indeed be required either physically swapping out the existing onboard Wifi card or adding a Broadcom WiFi card to 1 of the onboard PCIE slots. The WiFi card you swap or add reiterated specifically must be one of that is manufactured by Broadcom in order for your hackingtosh being fully compatible utilizing a WiFi connection is what research has revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back