Contribute
Register

Is it possible to access windows partition from Parallels?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello,
I have functional Hackintosh with 2 SSDs, on 1st Hackintosh partition, 2nd Windows 10 partition, and I would like to ask if is it possible to access Windows partition from Parallels 14. I already have virtualized Windows in Parallels, but I would like to access real WIndows 10 partition, for example, so I could be able to run origin, steam updates and still be able to do some work on my Hackintosh.

When I tried to access bootcamp from parallels I've got this error

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello,
I have functional Hackintosh with 2 SSDs, on 1st Hackintosh partition, 2nd Windows 10 partition, and I would like to ask if is it possible to access Windows partition from Parallels 14. I already have virtualized Windows in Parallels, but I would like to access real WIndows 10 partition, for example, so I could be able to run origin, steam updates and still be able to do some work on my Hackintosh.

Hi there.

For this type pf use I would recommend consulting the Parallels web-site. As you know you can access files on a real Windows drive, but running programs from there probably won't work because it has a separate Registry and driver database. However, check Parallels for more info.

Add to that, you mention BootCamp which would be Windows installed on a real Mac. So far the UEFI Clover system can't run bootcamp. The new OpenCore bootloader apparently can but that's bleeding-edge and needs care.

:)

Motherboard
AsRock H87 Fatal1ty
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770k
Graphics
PowerColor RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I myself got my actual Windows installation of another partition running in Parallels, alltho the setup was more than janky. I had so somewhat "blindly" navigate through the setup. But it might not be worth your time, as windows constantly nags that your windows installation isn't "genuine", and the performance isn't great either, so you might not want to run origin/steam etc on that.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello,

I believe that it's possible to boot a "Bootcamp" drive from Parallels. That's the only way I can think of to do what you want to do...

Motherboard
Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi there.

For this type pf use I would recommend consulting the Parallels web-site. As you know you can access files on a real Windows drive, but running programs from there probably won't work because it has a separate Registry and driver database. However, check Parallels for more info.

Add to that, you mention BootCamp which would be Windows installed on a real Mac. So far the UEFI Clover system can't run bootcamp. The new OpenCore bootloader apparently can but that's bleeding-edge and needs care.

:)
I can confirm that BootCamp works with the new Open Core Bootloader but you will need a very good DSDT.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I can confirm that BootCamp works with the new Open Core Bootloader but you will need a very good DSDT.
Thanks for the info.

If you get the time, please let us know how you achieved it. Perhaps start a [GUIDE] thread. I know a lot of us would like to learn more :thumbup:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
yeah, I would really like to read that start guide.

@ColourMaker How did you set up that parallels machine? I need just to run origin/steam so it would update games