Zotac Geforce Titan GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was a fervent MacUser back in the 80's-mid 90's. I mean I was indoctrinated. Nothing could touch the mac! Back when most of you didn't even know what a modem was, I ran my own BBS (Bulletin Board System on a mac: a mini local Internet for hackers and people sharing commercial mac softwares and ran text-based online games all this was running on super duper fast 14.4 baud telephone line modem)
I switched and bought my first PC, a Dell in '97 because I wanted to play real games and apple was on its downfall back then before Steve came back and rescued the company. From then on I have always built my own computers (as well as many for friends, families and occasional customer.)

I'm a photographer, but as windows got better and better. I have to say Win7 is pretty good (to me)
I always refrained from buying a computer from Apple with programmed obsolescence built-in. Plus most of original Apple hardware sucks compared to what you can build yourself on Windows for cheap. It only has sex appeal and good looks but not real functionality superiority. I.E: Not fun to use every day.

In November my Q6400 intel CPU was getting long in the tooth so I decided to look for what hardware I could buy to build my next PC but that I could also try MacOSX on it.

So I bought the necessary hardware and installed SL, then Lion. Everything went quite smoothly (Remember, I know windows like the palm of my hand now from building so many gaming PCs all these years.) Nothing was really hard to get working by Microsoft standard anyway. Technically it almost seemed easier than to install and get win98 to work properly (for awhile at least).

Now comes the photography part:

On Windows I mainly use Lightroom, CS5 and Windows live photo gallery 2009 as my main picture managing and simple browsing/viewing app.

Although, I like features like faces in Aperture very much, GPS location tag. etc.
What I hate is having to import photos that are already on my HDD and sorted into a hierarchical fashion and easy to manage just using Windows explorer (not the browser,I would never touch that with a ten-foot poll, I use firefox on the PC, I mean Explorer the equivalent to finder on the mac)
So I use windows photo Gallery 2009 (hate newer version) and only import photos I want to tweak into Adobe Light Room. If I have no need to tweak 'em why import them ?
They are on my HDD afterall, why can't this simple behavior be achieved on the mac ?
Why can't I scroll with a mouse wheel or use the back forward/button through my pictures ? or use arrows or page up/down to move the next pic in the folder in Preview? Which is the basic picture viewing app in MacOSX ? You need to install Xee for that and it's not that good either.

Every single photo managing app I tried on the mac, just sucked for me. Believe me I tried a LOT! Even bought some from the app store.
Graphic Converter ain't good (requires too much digging and clicking to do have a useful behavior), ACDsee ain't good on the mac either.
Right-click menus in commercial apps like Aperture never seem to have the functions you really need, that are 'contextual'. Meaning, they pertain to what you want to do.

There are so many other things I just don't like about MaccOSX, that I would never suggest one of my 'not-so-computer-savvy customer' to buy a mac instead of a basic windows laptop or desktop.

Believe me, I tried. Fonts don't look as good, 3D performance suck on the same hardware. Sure, there are nice things here and there. But if you know your Windows, who needs MacOS ?

It's just NOT that good.

In Finder just select all Pics in a Folder with command+a (the equivalent under Windows is ctrl+a), then doubleclick the selected Pics and Preview opens the 1st Pic and you can scroll with the cursor-keys forth and back through the selected Pics.

Edit: Under Lion you can select Fullscreen for Preview (in the upper right Corner) when the Pics are Loaded and scrolling between the Pics using the cursor-keys

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-26 um 22.57.56.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-26 um 22.57.56.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-26 um 22.55.29.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-26 um 22.55.29.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 483
Why would I want to do that ?
Doesn't make any sense.

Why EASY can't be Easy ?
Why user-friendly can't be user-friendly ?

Mac sux0rs!

Another of my pet peeves delete many files from different locatiions and try to restore them from the trash bin.
You can't restore them, unless you do it one by one.
How messed up is that ? World's most advanced OS my ass.

This is very interesting: Fonts don't look as good (on Mac) ;)
Since I read a lot of books etc. on the net or downloaded, I built my Hackintosh because the fonts look far superior from Windows. It really looks like printed paper on my 1920x1050 LED monitor. Therefore I completely disagree with you on that score.

As far as the subject of your post: Is it just me? I think, yes, it's just you. :p
There's no such thing as perfection, neither OSX nor Windows is perfect. You think Windows is closer to perfection, I am glad for you.

karacho said:
I recommed you should stay on Windows ;)

I wasn't clear.
The trash can't restore multiple files that comes from multiple folders . It just can't do it.
It will restore individual files that come from multiple locations

What happened is I cleaned up my pictures folder with duplicate annihilator and it trashed lots of pictures that it detected as dupes that weren't dupes but came from many different subfolders in my main picture folder the trash restore function could not returned them to their original locations. I had to find an Apple script that did it but work half-ass. Search the net and you'll see that this problem really exist.

Mind you, this situation doesn't happen really often, most people may never have to face it.
It happened to me because I used a program to eliminate dupes and it didn't do a proper job.

georgeba said:
This is very interesting: Fonts don't look as good (on Mac) ;)
Since I read a lot of books etc. on the net or downloaded, I built my Hackintosh because the fonts look far superior from Windows. It really looks like printed paper on my 1920x1050 LED monitor. Therefore I completely disagree with you on that score.

As far as the subject of your post: Is it just me? I think, yes, it's just you. :p
There's no such thing as perfection, neither OSX nor Windows is perfect. You think Windows is closer to perfection, I am glad for you.

Yes it is, at least my WD My book Live works with without having to buy an app from the app store. It's a NAS it should work on any OS. Apple broke smb support in Lion. I think maybe 10.7.3 fixed it haven't had a chance to try it yet I hate macosX so much don't look forward to boot on it. ;-). But come on. Is this the best Apple can do ?

I wish I had never bought an Iphone and waited for Android phones to come out. Too bad I'm sucked in now with an OBDBII plug to diagnose cars that only work with iphones. So my next phone... will have to be an iPhone. And they do suck because you need macOSX to update them properly most of the time.

a3dstorm said:
Why can't I scroll with a mouse wheel or use the back forward/button through my pictures ? or use arrows or page up/down to move the next pic in the folder in Preview?
It's just NOT that good.
Personally, my preference for a quick view of a file is to select it and press the space bar. Works with just about any file, not just photos. Then use the up/down arrow to move through the folder.

It's all right though, I think windows makes a great game machine, but not much else. So, I would delete your OSX and don't use restore.
I support and train customers on Windows, and have from DOS thru 7, but have used my choice, without the need to just rant.
If you do have a valid question, post it and everyone would be glad to help. :think:

I'm interested to see where this goes also. I just got my Hack up and running last week. This is my first rodeo with MAC OS and I am having the same issues as the OP. As a matter of fact I was just having a discussion with an Apple fanboy at work this morning about the lack of functionality in the right click options is MAC software. In the windows environment the right click is the key to navigating almost all software written for it. I find it painstaking to continually move the pointer to the menu bar to do anything. I think the MAC world revolves around using keyboard short cuts and I am starting to get the hang of some of them. This is not a rant and not meant to belittle MAC OS. Just looking for hints to lessen my learning curve.

As a professional photographer myself I really can't see why you use anything other than Lightroom and Photoshop, Mac or PC.

For archiving, searching, captioning, viewing and selecting there really isn't anything else on the market approaching Lightroom, and now it's editing section is so good I rarely use Photoshop at all

I've used both applications on Mac and PC and although the feel and use of the software is almost identical, the MAC is by far the superior OS to work from IMO

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back