Contribute
Register

Is Intel giving up on x86 ? It could get a lot easier to build an ARM based Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Max Tech provides some arguments for this. We may still be able to buy M1(2)(3) compatible chips in the not too distant future. Made by either Intel or Qualcomm. Interesting.

I still doubt hackintoshing an Arm system will be much, much more difficult because of the custom GPU Apple uses in their M SoCs.

Max Tech always gives ridiculous hypes about Apple. Don’t be serious.

Max Tech always gives ridiculous hypes about Apple.
What the video is saying is that most all of Apple's competitors are switching to ARM/RISC based CPUs. It's stating that their competitors see that and not x86 as the future. It will take them some time to catch up even with the performance of M1. I don't think that qualifies as Apple hyperbole. All the M1 benchmarks of performance show that they beat any current Intel CPU in single core performance.

What the video is saying is that most all of Apple's competitors are switching to ARM/RISC based CPUs. It's stating that their competitors see that and not x86 as the future. It will take them some time to catch up even with the performance of M1. I don't think that qualifies as Apple hyperbole. All the M1 benchmarks of performance show that they beat any current Intel CPU in single core performance.

If what they assume is true, I wonder what happens to AMD...

If what they assume is true, I wonder what happens to AMD...
While AMD has already had some experiences on ARM and is rumoured to be developing M1 competitors.

Qualcomm “Nuvia” is about to be released, well about is a bit loose, maybe end of 2022, it’s apparently an M1 killer and just maybe our savior, destined for laptops , made by same guys who worked on the M1

Last edited:
Qualcomm “Nuvia” is about to be released, well about is a bit loose, maybe end of 2022, it’s apparently an M1 killer and just maybe our savior, destined for laptops , made by same guys who worked on the M1
Even if everyone makes ARM processors they won't be compatible with macOS. It's a difference of basic ARM instructions vs custom (such as M1.)

My guess is these are targeted for Windows ARM or Linux.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back