Contribute
Register

Is Installing MacOS then Bootcamp Windows 10 Pro Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the machine is built and running, but I had to nip out this morning to buy a cheap MS keyboard to operate the BIOS.

I've booted from the Clover/Catalina thumbdrive I made with Unibeast so I can use Disk Utility to create the EFI partition for Windows. I've had the black Apple screen with the loading bar for the last 30 minutes, and for the last 10 or so the bar has been full... does it usually/should it take this long for it to get to the installation options?

Hi there,

Firstly I'd like to clarify and empathise that you do not need to format your new SSD for Windows. The Windows installer will handle all of this for you, formatting the drive to the NTFS format. macOS' Disk Utility cannot format the drive to NTFS, as this is a proprietary format developed by Microsoft. To conclude, you're better off not formatting the drive so Windows can format and partition appropriately.

With the above being said, you do not need to use diskpart either. That is also for formatting and partitioning and should be used (in this given context) if you're having problems with installing the OS. Again, let the Windows installer handle all of the work for you.

As @kylec did mention, you can use Boot Camp when you install macOS with OpenCore however as also mentioned, it doesn't provide much day-to-day purpose.

In response to your last query, no it's not usual for the installer to take that much period of time. I know with Big Sur there is an increased installation time, but that should not be the case with Catalina. I hope you were able to boot into the installer and eventually install macOS. Please let us know how you did. :)

All the best with your new build.

Firstly I'd like to clarify and empathise that you do not need to format your new SSD for Windows. The Windows installer will handle all of this for you, formatting the drive to the NTFS format. macOS' Disk Utility cannot format the drive to NTFS, as this is a proprietary format developed by Microsoft. To conclude, you're better off not formatting the drive so Windows can format and partition appropriately.
You're not understanding the Multibooting UEFI guide that @Going Bald wrote. To boot Windows 10 UEFI from the Clover boot menu it is important to have the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the Windows drive. That's why it's done in Disk Utility. Partitioning GPT creates the 200 MB EFI partition. If you leave it up to the Windows installer that EFI partition is not big enough. I know that the multibooting UEFI guide doesn't go into why you do that but it is correct.
The only special thing you need to do for Win10 is create the EFI partition as the first partition on the drive and format the drive GPT partition table. This is easiest to do with the OS X Disk Utility, but it can be done from an elevated command window at the Win10 installer screen with diskpart. If you do not know how to do it with diskpart I suggest you do it with OS X Disk Utility. Note that CSM must be enabled for the installation process.

You're not understanding the Multibooting UEFI guide that @Going Bald wrote. To boot Windows 10 UEFI from the Clover boot menu it is important to have the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the Windows drive. That's why it's done in Disk Utility. Partitioning GPT creates the 200 MB EFI partition. If you leave it up to the Windows installer that EFI partition is not big enough. I know that the multibooting UEFI guide doesn't go into why you do that but it is correct.

Thank you for your response. I wasn't aware you needed a larger EFI partition for multi-booting UEFI Windows via Clover. I'd also like to state my post wasn't intended to contradict the written guide as it's not something that I was aware of that existed, so please accept my apology.

My post was regarding the installation of a regular Windows install, unbeknownst to me (by my ignorance) that Clover required a larger EFI partition on the Windows drive too.

For what it's worth, I currently UEFI dual-boot between both macOS and Windows where my Windows installation was completely handled by the Windows installer. I didn't alter any EFI partition(s) for Windows. My current build is on OpenCore however, therefore I'm perhaps out of touch with Clover.

Last edited:
No problem. Clover and OpenCore have many different features. OC does make it easier to dual boot with Windows. The OP was asking about using Clover to multiboot.
My plan is to install MacOS then Bootcamp Windows 10 Pro onto it too... is there a way to do this through Clover instead?
I always prefer to keep Windows 10 on a separate PC for those times I'll need it. Don't have the time to deal with Windows problems on my main macOS system so I never dual boot each OS on my main work PC.

Good morning, guys. Thanks for your responses.

The original intention was to have an OS per SSD.

I've had no luck with any version of OSX - I've used the correct Unibeast and Multibeast software to create USBs for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. The behaviour is identical - it takes around 30 to 40 minutes for the white bar on the black Apple loading screen to populate then it sticks on 100%. I left it overnight to see if it made any difference - it didn't :(

I used Disk Utility to format the USBs as Mac OS Extended Journaled with GUID Partition scheme. I also made sure VT-d and CFD were disabled on my BIOS. I could not find the option to disable secure boot on my machine.

There have also been problems with the Win 10 USBs either not being recognised or presenting a flashing underscore cursor instead of booting the installer. These have both been created on different Macs by different people using different methods (Disk Utility & Terminal, and Disk Utility & Unetbootin). I'm off to work with a friend who has a Win 10 laptop, so I'll be creating both a USB2.0 and USB3.0 Win 10 booter using the MS Media Creation Tool on their website. Hopefully that will make the difference.

Other than that, my new PC is very pretty. Quite useless at present, but very pretty.

- Intel i9 9900k
- MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro AC
- Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 XT 8Gb
- 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
- 2 x Crucial P1 1Tb NVMe m.2 SSD
- be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
- be quiet! Dark Power 11 500W
- Fractal Design Define 7

Attachments

• New PC.jpeg
    New PC.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 28

When dual booting on separate drives the purpose of creating the EFI partition before installing Win10 is to ensure that the EFI partition is the first partition on the drive. The Win10 installer when presented with a totally blank drive will install WinReTools in the first partition, then a reserved partition and then the EFI partition followed by the OS partition. Clover does not like the EFI partition in third place - it wants to see it as the first partition on the drive. You only have to consider the smaller size of the Win10 EFI partition if you are installing on the same drive and installing Win10 first. To install Mac OS you must have at least 200MB EFI partition - it can be larger if you wish.
With OC, you do not have this problem. You can allow the Win10 installer to partition and format the drive as it will.

Last edited:
The Win10 installer when presented with a totally blank drive will install WinReTolls in the first partition, then a reserved partition and then the EFI partition followed by the OS partition. Clover does not like the EFI partition in third place
So it relies on the WinReTools being first for fixing problems when Windows won't boot. It's not able to use WRT if it's not located in the first partition of the drive ?

So it relies on the WinReTools being first for fixing problems when Windows won't boot. It's not able to use WRT if it's not located in the first partition of the drive ?
No, it is just the order MS decided was best. WinReTools still works when it is the second partition if you make the EFI first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back