Contribute
Register

Is Hackintosh full disk encryption actually possible yet?

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I can report that it doesn't work out of the box. I had to manually decrypt my hard drive by going into Recovery after turning on FileVault 2. Will not be doing that again until I am certain...

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700k 4.0GHz
Graphics
Nvidia 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Pretty sure after reboot you need to continue in recovery to allow it to complete FV2. Also, did you install AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi first?

Also as a PS: Before this fix I had partitioned my main drive and put my home directory into an encrypted portion and had a dummy account which I used to boot into and decrypt the partition before logging into my real user account. That was a pain, but worked. In 2017 not encrypting your files is insane.

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I didn't do any of those. Just enabled it, and it stopped booting.
I am going to let my full disk backup finish before having another go at it. Gave me a heart attack when the whole thing stopped booting. Thankfully fixed it via Recovery partition and manually cancelled the encryption.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700k 4.0GHz
Graphics
Nvidia 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Did a fresh install of High Sierra just yesterday, followed the normal directions from tonymac, then when I was done put AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/, turned on Filevault and it's working fine. It would be nice if AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi was standard instead of having to track it down.

Attachments

• AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi
    25 KB · Views: 109