Contribute
Register

Is Hackintosh full disk encryption actually possible yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7-4770k
Graphics
Asus GT640 graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
(Solved) Is Hackintosh full disk encryption actually possible yet?

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck implementing any sort of full disk encryption on their Hackintosh partitions (such as FileVault 2, ect..)

The Clover bootloader looks promising for such an implementation, but I've not seen solid claims of full disk encryption actually being achieved.

I'm interested to find out about full disk encryption only, I know there are many options for encrypting portions of the disk.

I am also interested, would be great to have a solution to FileVault 2 or an alternate.

Apparently there is no possibility for system-level software encrytption with Hackintosh, but the company Addonics makes a wide variety of types of hardware encyption devices including swapable drive enclosures that use encryption dongles.

http://www.addonics.com/category/encryption.php

Here are some of their swapable encrypted enclosures (which can also be used when outside of their dock!)

http://www.addonics.com/category/diamond_cipher.php

http://www.addonics.com/category/saturn_cipher.php

I have had FDE with FileVault2 working for well over a month now. I had to put in AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi manually, but I think it may now be in Clover by default as well as the newest multibeast - which hopefully means out-of-the-box functionality!

ok, I'm getting ready to try this. do you have to boot from your recovery hd partition? are you using a native Broadcom card with apple bt keyboard and trackpad? Where do you get AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi and where do you put it?

thanks,

g

I have had FDE with FileVault2 working for well over a month now. I had to put in AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi manually, but I think it may now be in Clover by default as well as the newest multibeast - which hopefully means out-of-the-box functionality!

Last edited:
I installed AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi from the insanely Mac thread, but I am curious if it is now part of Clover by default. I haven't had a chance to do a fresh install, but it's worth trying it at this point I would think.

Otherwise, it's continued to work fine and even was OK with the latest point release on Sierra.

PS, also worth noting I'm using an Apple wired keyboard, which seems to be most compatible.

Last edited:
oh interesting! when I read the thread it seemed like wired usb keyboards needed a certain driver and the bluetooth ones needed the aptiofix driver. so it seems reasonable to make sure my clover is updated and flip the switch before bed tonight. I'll report back if it works out of the box with no additional drivers needed. if it is all broken tomorrow I'll restore from the clone and come back here to ask for help :)

I installed AptioInputFixB2-NoPointer.efi from the insanely Mac thread, but I am curious if it is now part of Clover by default. I haven't had a chance to do a fresh install, but it's worth trying it at this point I would think.

Otherwise, it's continued to work fine and even was OK with the latest point release on Sierra.

PS, also worth noting I'm using an Apple wired keyboard, which seems to be most compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back