Contribute
Register

Is GT740 compatible with 10.8.5? or passive-cooled alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to get a GPU that will power a 3440x1440 monitor and would like to stay on Mountain for as long as possible.

I see the GT740 is Kepler (unlike the GTX750 which is Maxwell), so that should be a good sign, yes?

Or is there an AMD card that is passivley-cooled (i.e.no fans), that will work OOB with 10.8.5. AMD would be nice because of the superior Open CL performance.

This is for a machine that I have in a recording studio - hence silent operation being paramount.

THanks in advance!!

I doubt you will find a GPU for that resolution using Mountain Lion. Most GPUs from that time frame were 2560x1600 @60Hz.
IIRC, the HD7700 series were the last cards with ML support - jumping to the 7900 series you had to upgrade to Mavericks and to get them to work you had to put your boot files into the EFI partition.
Maybe you can find something from this thread - http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/92952-list-confirmed-radeon-hd-7xxx-series-10-8-3-a.html

Ok thanks for your reply!

I ended up getting a 2560x1080 monitor for now - the deal was too good to pass up.

An added plus is (for now) I can run with the integrated GPU (HD4000) via Thunderbolt with a mini display port cable - thus saving hundreds over getting a larger monitor and potentially a GPU that won't work as well as I would have hoped...

Time to spend the money saved on a patch bay I guess..

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back