Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
MSI GTX 1070 AERO
I have Windows 8 and Mavericks on same SSD installed UEFI mode (GUID).

My computer boots to Windows 8 by default via Windows boot manager (EFI partition).

I tap my boot options key at post in order to boot via USB bootloader when I wish to load Mavericks.

I have UEFI bios and my GTX660 has UEFI vbios however I don't boot this way as I need access to my USB ports for when I boot to Mavericks.

Can I instead use Clover to automatically boot to Windows 8 in UEFI mode with the ability to hit a key to boot into Mavericks instead?

This seems like how it should be but when I tried previously I had difficulties getting it to work. This was a year ago or so though...

If yes to using Clover in this way, is it a simple case of installing it onto EFI partition where windows boot manager currently resides?

Cheers hackintoshers :beachball:

Hmmm, not as much help as I was hoping for...

I have Windows 8 and Mavericks on same SSD installed UEFI mode (GUID).

My computer boots to Windows 8 by default via Windows boot manager (EFI partition).

I tap my boot options key at post in order to boot via USB bootloader when I wish to load Mavericks.

I have UEFI bios and my GTX660 has UEFI vbios however I don't boot this way as I need access to my USB ports for when I boot to Mavericks.

Can I instead use Clover to automatically boot to Windows 8 in UEFI mode with the ability to hit a key to boot into Mavericks instead?

This seems like how it should be but when I tried previously I had difficulties getting it to work. This was a year ago or so though...

If yes to using Clover in this way, is it a simple case of installing it onto EFI partition where windows boot manager currently resides?

Cheers hackintoshers :beachball:
What procedure did you use to install Win8 UEFI and Mavericks on same SSD? I tried several ways and always ran into a formatting issue.
Please run diskutil list and post a pic of the results. I would like to see your disk structure.
Also, if you don't mind, please open your drive in the Win8 disk management app and take a pic of how Windows sees the drive partitions.
This will give me a better idea of where you might put Clover.
Also, please post your Clover config.plist.

Is this on the hardware in your profile?

What procedure did you use to install Win8 UEFI and Mavericks on same SSD? I tried several ways and always ran into a formatting issue.

You might take a look at this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

The key is keeping the drive in GPT not GPT/MBR hybrid. It means when you make a partition for Windows, you MUST NOT use one of the formats that cause Disk Utility to make a hybrid. Use HFS+, then format to NTFS once in the Windows installer.

As RehabMan correctly stated, you need to do it that way to keep it all GPT then you can dual boot from same SSD. I learnt this from a guide on this site, probably the same one RehabMan just posted to.

I just realised that my USB boot for Clover is not UEFI, so I don't have a proper working Clover.plist. UEFI boots great into Windows 8, but I have it turned off for accessing the USB to boot to Mavericks. I presume UEFI should work for Mavericks through clover too. I looked at the Clover configuration tool but it seemed a little complicated. My first attempt at making a UEFI bootable USB resulted in a grey screen after the verbose text finished...

I am indeed using the hack in my profile. More details:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
i5-3570k (not currently OC'd)
GTX 660 with UEFI GOP vbios
16GB 1333 Kingston RAM
256GB Crucial M4 SSD
Enermax 650W power
Few extra drives internal and external.
Bluetooth Keyboard
RF Mouse
+additional RF keyboard

Thanks so much for your help! :thumbup:

WinDiskMgmt_2014-02-16.pngOSX_DiskUtil_2014-02-16.jpg

As RehabMan correctly stated, you need to do it that way to keep it all GPT then you can dual boot from same SSD. I learnt this from a guide on this site, probably the same one RehabMan just posted to.

I just realised that my USB boot for Clover is not UEFI, so I don't have a proper working Clover.plist. UEFI boots great into Windows 8, but I have it turned off for accessing the USB to boot to Mavericks. I presume UEFI should work for Mavericks through clover too. I looked at the Clover configuration tool but it seemed a little complicated. My first attempt at making a UEFI bootable USB resulted in a grey screen after the verbose text finished...

I am indeed using the hack in my profile. More details:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
i5-3570k (not currently OC'd)
GTX 660 with UEFI GOP vbios
16GB 1333 Kingston RAM
256GB Crucial M4 SSD
Enermax 650W power
Few extra drives internal and external.
Bluetooth Keyboard
RF Mouse
+additional RF keyboard

Thanks so much for your help! :thumbup:

View attachment 83487View attachment 83488

I suspect it was a graphics issue. You should boot verbose so you know what is happening. Setup your config.plist correctly for your graphics configuration. I think your GTX660 is natively recognized, so you should avoid injecting for nvidia.

I simply installed Clover to USB via the clover configurator without generating my own clover.plist just to see how it ran. I managed to boot from this USB into Clover into Mavericks however I am not sure it is actually booting UEFI...

Basically, if I enter boot options during a UEFI boot I only have option of "UEFI CLOVER USB" or "Windows Boot Manager". If I select the USB it just boots to windows anyway. In this mode I have Fast boot Enabled, Windows 8 OS Mode, CSM disabled in bios.

If I set OS Mode to "Other", then the option to disable CSM disappears. I see the GFX load up in post before anything else. I am then given more options to boot the USB, including in non-UEFI mode, and it is only from this that the USB will load clover and boot into OSX.

This is where I am now confused... from Clover am I booting Mavericks UEFI or not? If I am, why am I seeing the GFX bios boot up and the typical Gigabyte post before getting to Clover? And why cant I boot Clover from "UEFI CLOVER USB" option?

If copied into the Root EFI partition maybe I'll see some different behaviour...?

This is where I am now confused... from Clover am I booting Mavericks UEFI or not? If I am, why am I seeing the GFX bios boot up and the typical Gigabyte post before getting to Clover? And why cant I boot Clover from "UEFI CLOVER USB" option?

If copied into the Root EFI partition maybe I'll see some different behaviour...?
You are not.
Did you create your Clover USB with the UEFI selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back