Intel i7 7700K
Graphics
Nvidia 1080 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I want to use the forum to have a discussion on if it's really worth putting the time and energy into getting Clover to boot a fully working El Capitan on an older BIOS based machine. OR should one just upgrade to a UEFI Motherboard bottom line no bull**** conversion.

I have been trying to get Clover to boot an installer for over a year now, and I think it's funny that now Tony has switched the bootloader over to Clover I get farther in one weekend, then I did in a year. Not only can I get clover to boot the installer, but I can install the OS on a HDD, and boot it. The problem I have is I have to use the USB to boot the system and it can't fully function like that (honestly I don't want it to, I don't want to have to use the USB). I get an boot0af error when I try to boot OS X 10.11 off the HDD not using the USB, this make sense to me because the HDD is in GUID and not MBR. OS X will only install on a GUID Hard drive; I honestly don't want to run OS X on a MBR drive because I know things can be problematic. Another problem is it's little bits of information all over the internet, but nothing all in one spot. How can I get Clover in legacy mode to boot OS X 10.11 on a Bios based motherboard, with the HDD using the GUID partition scheme?

My machine -
GA-EX58-UD3R 1.6/1.7 FK
Intel i7 930
Nvidia 480
USB using MBR partition
HDD using GUID partition

The more I read the more I feel Clover is for UEFI Motherboards, and if I want to stay current software wise, I'm going to have to invest some money (about 5 or so hundred dollars into upgrades, I don't want an i5, or i3 processor).
I kind of think it's a waste of money, hear me out before you get mad at me...lol
I believe all the innovation is in mobile platforms.
When I look at new motherboard and intel processors I believe little has changed from when I last built this computer back in 2010. Back then I use to build a new machine every year or so I stopped in 2010 and only did small upgrades. My machine still feels powerful to me, I installed El Capitan in under twenty minutes. I'm not a huge PC gamer. All I do on my computer is browse, chat on hangouts, iMessage, download stuff, burn blu-rays; however I still like to stay current software wise, mainly in the OS area. I gave it a lot of thought over the years, and I still don't have a use case for buying a new Macbook Pro (mine is a 2010 model), or building a new Desktop. My **** still works for what I need it to do...lol I do however want a new iPhone every year, which I get year after year...
I know I can be a little long winded, but I hope people weigh in on this discussion and we can all learn from it.

I do feel like people on older/legacy boards are having more intractable problems with El Capitan. In your shoes though, I'd save my $500 and just boot from the darn USB. Who cares?

P.S. Some reports of success fixing the boot0af error with this post.

I do feel like people on older/legacy boards are having more intractable problems with El Capitan. In your shoes though, I'd save my $500 and just boot from the darn USB. Who cares?

P.S. Some reports of success fixing the boot0af error with this post.

I would see that as a viable option, but my motherboard has always had an issue with USB Storage being enabled in the BIOS.
it slows down the boot a lot, sometimes I have to restart a few times. So I only enable it when i'm doing a fresh install, and disable it when everything is working, and I don't need it.

I know I can get OS X to boot using Clover in Legacy mode, without USB. I read from other people on forums who have done it with my same motherboard, everything working even performing better over legacy boot loaders. The problem is no one fully explains it, another problem is I don't know if thats the case with EL Capitan...

If 10.10.x is working for you, you can just leave well enough alone. By the time you actually need something that 10.11 has, you might be in more need of a hardware upgrade. I still use my snow leopard install in my dell mini sometimes for travel. Not every machine is able to, or needs to, use the very latest os.

I maybe wrong here but if you can only boot system from the usb drive surely you can copy the files from the usb drive over to the Hard Drive and see if the rig will boot without the aid of the usb drive.

This Board to me is still solid - takes everything thrown at it, I swopped it out for a Z87X-OC FORCE and that gave more problems than the GA-EX58-UD3R to setup, boot recycling at boot ups etc etc so I won't rush to spend loads just push for a solution for your oldie but goodie GA-EX58-UD3R m/b. Good luck.

I maybe wrong here but if you can only boot system from the usb drive surely you can copy the files from the usb drive over to the Hard Drive and see if the rig will boot without the aid of the usb drive.

This Board to me is still solid - takes everything thrown at it, I swopped it out for a Z87X-OC FORCE and that gave more problems than the GA-EX58-UD3R to setup, boot recycling at boot ups etc etc so I won't rush to spend loads just push for a solution for your oldie but goodie GA-EX58-UD3R m/b. Good luck.

As for the booting. I have absolutelly no problem to boot 10.11 using USB. But I cannot from HDD. Even if I do copy of Clover settings from USB to EFI partition on disk. There must be some magic. If anyone know where it is please explain it to me.:crazy: I have good experience with Clover on Yosemite. But for El Capitan I am at the end with it.

can any of the X58/55 users here shut the PC down reliably with Clover? It's very sporadic, nothing with or without the dsdt works. only EvOreboot.kext worked in the past.

can any of the X58/55 users here shut the PC down reliably with Clover? It's very sporadic, nothing with or without the dsdt works. only EvOreboot.kext worked in the past.

Going Bald is the man to consult about the ins and outs of the x58's, Ive retired mine for a ga-z87x-oc force some time back and still maintain the x58 is a solid board and loathed to get rid of it. Hopefully GB will see your post and share some pointers - Good luck.

For my GA-X58A-UD7 I had to make a couple of changes to the default config.plist created during the UniBeast process. Specifically, I had to change the DSDT fixes that were true to false. I then set inject intel to false. Since I had a DSDT, I put it in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.
I ran the El Captian post install essentials using Clover Legacy and ran the Essentials package.
When complete, I opened finder/root/ and replaced the contents of the EFI folder with the contents of the USB installer EFI folder. Then I deleted the NullCPU kext, the killer lan kext and the intel lan kext, leaving the RTL8111 kext, which is all the board needs. Afterwards, I ran the Clover ALC110 script toleda provided for audio patching and I am done. It dual boot just fine with my Windows 7 Ultimate drive in testing.
I am still testing sleep and power management/restart and shutdown and will post in the thread I started over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back