Contribute
Register

Is Clover even worth it for Legacy BIOS Motherboard users

Status
Not open for further replies.
not quite.
I did this too in the beginning, but the patch didn't find an audio chip. It reads this from the DSDT.aml

Throw the dsdt.aml file into Clover/Ahci/patched, and there it reads the Codec chip
Also in Clover Config, put in the Number 1 into the Audio ID field, there it reads the Audio ID setting from.
then reboot, then mount EFI again, then it works. spent some hours on this, because i had no dsdt in the beginning.

Well,
I got my audio working!
I used the DSDT.aml from my working Chimera install. Then I ran the script "audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0f.command."
Now I just got to tackle the shutdown issue, and see if I can boot Windows 10 (I haven't even tried that since moving over to Clover)
My old Logitech Webcam isn't working, which sucks because thats what I use for dictation.

I have been using my *P45* chipset mobo...

I made the UniBeast 6 USB stick, and got the thing to at least boot. But I can't get to the installer because of this "AppleUSBUCHIPCI" kernel panic, and can't figure out how to fix it.

There was this report of a fix for a P35, maybe it would work for a P45 too?

I give up...
I tried to use iMessage, and found it wasn't working. I have dealt with iMessage issues before. Clover is suppose to be the boot loader to use when it comes to iMessage.
Funny thing is, iMessage worked out the box before I reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Clover/El Capitan.
I can login, I get the message on all my other Apple devices that a new device has joined the party, but all my contacts are red #### is not registered for iMessage.

I tried the MLB ROM thing, creating a new user

This is so frustrating...

I give up...
I tried to use iMessage, and found it wasn't working. I have dealt with iMessage issues before. Clover is suppose to be the boot loader to use when it comes to iMessage.
Funny thing is, iMessage worked out the box before I reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Clover/El Capitan.
I can login, I get the message on all my other Apple devices that a new device has joined the party, but all my contacts are red #### is not registered for iMessage.

I tried the MLB ROM thing, creating a new user

This is so frustrating...

For me, what worked was to create a brand new serial number with Clover configurator (be sure to randomize week number as well a few times).
Then copy the serial number, go to the RT Variables tab in Clover configurator, and paste into the MLB section, and be sure to add 5 completely random numbers at the end.
I rebooted and viola!

The best thing to do, if you had imessage working PRIOR to updating to clover, is to use same serial you used with chimera/chameleon. If you haven't deleted your plist file for it yet pull serial and other info from that. it's best not to register new serials if you don't need to. It just red flags your account with new hardware and causes imessage deactivation.

I do feel like people on older/legacy boards are having more intractable problems with El Capitan. In your shoes though, I'd save my $500 and just boot from the darn USB. Who cares?

P.S. Some reports of success fixing the boot0af error with this post.

You can just have clover installer (official) fix boot0af

http://mysticalos.com/images/Clover/boot0af.jpg

Obviously for legacy installs (that require this) you uncheck UEFI only and instlal the boot0af option. That'd be first thing I'd try to fix it.

I'm not sure if TM version of installer has this option or not. If it does you can try using that too. Make sure rest of installer options are correct. Plenty of guides on clover installer options you should use.

Anyone getting this window?
If I boot from the system drive, I just can't get past this window.
Whatever item I select, I just can't get out of it and boot to El Capitan while upon installation I could boot from USB.

Attachments

• figure06.png
    figure06.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 123
I'll give my $0.02...

I have been using my *P45* chipset mobo (a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR) with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0/1333 and 16GB of DDR3-1333 RAM for YEARS, and it's been rock solid as my primary media server. I've had it on 10.9.5 for the longest time, waiting for the time when UniBeast would make the move to Clover and de-mystify that bizarrely complex thing. And then it happened!

... and then all this. I really want this to work so I can enjoy the benefits of a) Clover (iMessage, etc.) and b) El Capitan (Metal apps with my nVidia 660 Ti), and this would really be the OS I use until I retire this beast. But I'm worried that nobody will put in enough effort to get us legacy guys on board. I really want this to happen, because I've put so much into this system (I have a 500GB SSD and 5TB HD waiting to make a Fusion Drive too).

I made the UniBeast 6 USB stick, and got the thing to at least boot. But I can't get to the installer because of this "AppleUSBUCHIPCI" kernel panic, and can't figure out how to fix it.

I guess I'll keep running 10.9.5 until somebody comes up with a fix. I'll check this forum every day.

MB

Try booting without USB 3 devices attached. I got similar panics and was able to boot to the installer once I unplugged my USB 3.0 hub.

For me, what worked was to create a brand new serial number with Clover configurator (be sure to randomize week number as well a few times).
Then copy the serial number, go to the RT Variables tab in Clover configurator, and paste into the MLB section, and be sure to add 5 completely random numbers at the end.
I rebooted and viola!

I was just frustrated that day,
I found my iMessage was working the whole time. For some reason Apple wasn't recognizing the numbers as iPhone devices.
It was strange, some would work, others would show the error. What made the whole thing even stranger was at one point one of the numbers that was coming up red, that person texted me, and it came up as an iMessage, and I was able to have a conversion with her. As the night moved on, more and more numbers started working, but not all of them. I was just like F it, and went to bed...

For now the only real issues I know of that I have left is:
I. Getting this beast to shut down consistently
II. My Logitech Web cam which I have had for years is now coming up as "unknown usb audio device" video works but not the mic. I don't know whats going on because it works in Yosemite. I can get my old PS3 cam to show up correctly, but of course it doesn't work. Honestly I may just have to buy another one, I only really use it for dictation.
III. I need to see if I can boot Windows 10

So I'm getting closer day by day...

What I'm learn from this experience is Clover can successfully run a "legacy system." It's all about working out the kinks, and such.
I think the problem is more people run clover on newer hardware, thus making it harder to find information that matches our configurations.

My dream is for all this information to come together in one spot, and Tony/Mac Man can make the Clover experience as easy and simple as the Chimera experience...

I think what I have not seen with the various legacy motherboard posts involving the UEFI BIOS and Clover, is whether or not Clover was even attempted as a solution for a legacy set up. A number of "switching" posts I've seen seem to reiterate a theme of trying to get Mavericks or Yosemite up and running with Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera, headaches in the process, and then the decision to switch to UEFI and try Clover. I had these issues as well with Chimera and Yosemite, being unable to boot reliably into the OS without a cpus=1 flag. In any case, with any number of "switching to UEFI/Clover" posts, Clover was not attempted as a solution for legacy booting, so we don't have an accurate picture of whether it was the UEFI that smoothed things over or Clover.

For a board like mine that only has a beta UEFI BIOS, I'm left wondering if the magic is in the UEFI or if clover is really the magic ingredient. The relative ease (albeit with the growing pains of learning about Clover) of getting Yosemite and now El Capitan running with Clover and a legacy BIOS makes me think the magic is in Clover more so than a beta UEFI (in my case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back