Contribute
Register

Is Clover even worth it for Legacy BIOS Motherboard users

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the booting. I have absolutelly no problem to boot 10.11 using USB. But I cannot from HDD. Even if I do copy of Clover settings from USB to EFI partition on disk. There must be some magic. If anyone know where it is please explain it to me.:crazy: I have good experience with Clover on Yosemite. But for El Capitan I am at the end with it.

I have the PH67-DS3-B3 with an i5-2500 (not the K version) and running El Capitan just flawlessly...

I did need to modify the DSDT as well as create an SSDT but everything (and I mean everything) works just fine and dandy...

I do feel like people on older/legacy boards are having more intractable problems with El Capitan. In your shoes though, I'd save my $500 and just boot from the darn USB. Who cares?

P.S. Some reports of success fixing the boot0af error with this post.

I'm sorry it's taking me a while to respond to you, but I want to thank you!
Machine boots without the USB pacifier!
I notice the machine feels faster then when I was on Chimera/Yosemite, but just like "nothingmore" I'm having crazy shutdown/sleep issues. Focusing on the Shutting down part, sometimes the machine appears to shutdown consistently, other times it appears to "consistently" not shut down.
The problem appears to be as you described - Screens/drives power off, machine still on, other times screens/drives power off, machine stays on for a minute or so, then powers off.

I'm also getting no where on the audio issue, I have a ALC888 legacy. As you know when using Chimera, this was a simple issue to fix, all you had to do is install the driver from MultiBeast.

God bless Toleda, he is a brilliant cat, but his guides are so hard to read sometimes that you often find yourself more confused after you read them. And as your reading post after post all your seeing is people pointing other people to his guides and you want to shoot yourself for being to dumb to understand them... lol

I'm sorry it's taking me a while to respond to you, but I want to thank you!
Machine boots without the USB pacifier!
I notice the machine feels faster then when I was on Chimera/Yosemite, but just like "nothingmore" I'm having crazy shutdown/sleep issues. Focusing on the Shutting down part, sometimes the machine appears to shutdown consistently, other times it appears to "consistently" not shut down.
The problem appears to be as you described - Screens/drives power off, machine still on, other times screens/drives power off, machine stays on for a minute or so, then powers off.

I'm also getting no where on the audio issue, I have a ALC888 legacy. As you know when using Chimera, this was a simple issue to fix, all you had to do is install the driver from MultiBeast.

God bless Toleda, he is a brilliant cat, but his guides are so hard to read sometimes that you often find yourself more confused after you read them. And as your reading post after post all your saying is people pointing other people to his guides and you want to shoot yourself for being to dumb to understand them... lol

His guides are quite confusing, I'll give you that...

1. Mount EFI partition
2. Run the Toleda command to patch

:)

His guides are quite confusing, I'll give you that...

1. Mount EFI partition
2. Run the Toleda command to patch

:)

not quite.
I did this too in the beginning, but the patch didn't find an audio chip. It reads this from the DSDT.aml

Throw the dsdt.aml file into Clover/Ahci/patched, and there it reads the Codec chip
Also in Clover Config, put in the Number 1 into the Audio ID field, there it reads the Audio ID setting from.
then reboot, then mount EFI again, then it works. spent some hours on this, because i had no dsdt in the beginning.

not quite.
I did this too in the beginning, but the patch didn't find an audio chip. It reads this from the DSDT.aml

Throw the dsdt.aml file into Clover/Ahci/patched, and there it reads the Codec chip
Also in Clover Config, put in the Number 1 into the Audio ID field, there it reads the Audio ID setting from.
then reboot, then mount EFI again, then it works. spent some hours on this, because i had no dsdt in the beginning.

ok.. a couple of things:
I think your right, on the "not finding the audio chip" thing, because I'm getting an error message which makes me think that thats the problem (I'm currently back using my Yosemite HDD, so I can't tell you what the error message is verbatim).

Also I'm in legacy mode, so the EFI is on the same partition as the install, renaming the HDD from "El Capitan," to "ElCapitan" allows it to find that folder.

Where do I find the dsdt.aml, can I just use any old dsdt.aml, how does that work?
I see my config.plist file making reference to it; I also already saw "Number 1 into the Audio ID field" in my config.plist.

I hear you. I lost iMessage/Messages functionality on the upgrade to Mavericks and had been debating an upgrade to the UEFI BIOS for my board, albeit a beta. Everything I read seemed to say that you have to go to UEFI in order for Clover to work and so I was holding off on an upgrade to Yosemite. For example, I have an old install of Mountain Lion as a fall back, an install of Mavericks that I do most of my work on, and so I didn't want to risk an upgrade to UEFI and make either of these installs unbootable. An attempted install of Yosemite with Unibeast/Multibeast would only let me booth with a cpus=1 flag in Chimera and so I held off on the whole prospect of a Yosemite install as well as Clover/UEFI).

In any case, with the purchase of another SSD I decided to tinker with Clover, particularly since Tony's Yosemite/Clover installation post covered legacy settings. Ironically, I couldn't get the USB clover installer to boot with Tony's recommended config.plist files so I actually used Unibeast to install Yosemite, and then ran the clover install from Yosemite. A few tweaks later and I was up and running with a legacy boot via Clover into Yosemite. It was kind of funny, when I got kernel panics via Clover I would use the Yosemite Unibeast USB to boot into Yosemite in order to edit the Clover config.plist. I just had to uncheck "rootless=0" in Clover Configurator and Yosemite booted right up with my f12 BIOS. :)

After that, I tried a native upgrade to El Cap by way of the app store and couldn't get to the installer. A Unibeast USB for El Cap ran into the same kernel panics and I found I could load the installers for the App Store files or the Unibeast USB once I unplugged my external USB 3.0 hub. I opted for the app store files since they were installed on my SSD. The install went fine without the USB3 hub plugged in. El Cap seems to be having a number of issues with USB3 on various boards, so I'm guessing some tweaks to either Clover or the relevant kexts will likely help with this. One of the observations I have made with the Clover USB settings is that I can't get a true deep sleep. With Yosemite, if I had "Inject", "Add ClockID", and "Fix Ownership" checked off under Devices, the system would be put into a sleep state that would not be responsive to keyboard and mouse inputs. e.g., I had to push the power button to get it to wake up. With the upgrade to El Cap, it seems that even with those settings in Clover I can't get a true deep sleep and that when I attempt to put the system to sleep, I will come back later to find that the fans and drives are spun back up. Again, I expect that some tweaks to Clover will help restore these settings in the not too distant future, making the USB settings a bit more reliable.

Still waiting to make the call to Apple to see if I can get Messages up and running with the support code, so we will see about that. With all of that said, I haven't run into any deal breakers in terms of functionality that would lead me to think that I need a UEFI vs. legacy BIOS.

I want to use the forum to have a discussion on if it's really worth putting the time and energy into getting Clover to boot a fully working El Capitan on an older BIOS based machine. OR should one just upgrade to a UEFI Motherboard bottom line no bull**** conversion.

I have been trying to get Clover to boot an installer for over a year now, and I think it's funny that now Tony has switched the bootloader over to Clover I get farther in one weekend, then I did in a year. Not only can I get clover to boot the installer, but I can install the OS on a HDD, and boot it. The problem I have is I have to use the USB to boot the system and it can't fully function like that (honestly I don't want it to, I don't want to have to use the USB). I get an boot0af error when I try to boot OS X 10.11 off the HDD not using the USB, this make sense to me because the HDD is in GUID and not MBR. OS X will only install on a GUID Hard drive; I honestly don't want to run OS X on a MBR drive because I know things can be problematic. Another problem is it's little bits of information all over the internet, but nothing all in one spot. How can I get Clover in legacy mode to boot OS X 10.11 on a Bios based motherboard, with the HDD using the GUID partition scheme?

My machine -
GA-EX58-UD3R 1.6/1.7 FK
Intel i7 930
Nvidia 480
USB using MBR partition
HDD using GUID partition

The more I read the more I feel Clover is for UEFI Motherboards, and if I want to stay current software wise, I'm going to have to invest some money (about 5 or so hundred dollars into upgrades, I don't want an i5, or i3 processor).
I kind of think it's a waste of money, hear me out before you get mad at me...lol
I believe all the innovation is in mobile platforms.
When I look at new motherboard and intel processors I believe little has changed from when I last built this computer back in 2010. Back then I use to build a new machine every year or so I stopped in 2010 and only did small upgrades. My machine still feels powerful to me, I installed El Capitan in under twenty minutes. I'm not a huge PC gamer. All I do on my computer is browse, chat on hangouts, iMessage, download stuff, burn blu-rays; however I still like to stay current software wise, mainly in the OS area. I gave it a lot of thought over the years, and I still don't have a use case for buying a new Macbook Pro (mine is a 2010 model), or building a new Desktop. My **** still works for what I need it to do...lol I do however want a new iPhone every year, which I get year after year...
I know I can be a little long winded, but I hope people weigh in on this discussion and we can all learn from it.

Forgot to mention, I actually got my system to boot Yosemite using Clover's default config.plist, with "rootless=0" unchecked, a setting that was on by default for the various betas of El Cap that were coming out, as I understand it (As noted in my prior post, I didn't get anywhere with Tony's recommended config.plist files, for whatever reason). Beyond that I entered the suggest Rt Variable settings in Tony's El Cap guides and that's all I tweaked to get my legacy rig to boot into The Captain!

I'm hoping for a bit more mileage out of this hardware before another upgrade. Assuming Apple hasn't gone to ARM processors for their systems, I'll be waiting until the chips after skylake come out before another upgrade.

Yes, it is worth the time and energy, i have a fully working customac with Legacy/ Clover bootloader, and everything works flawlessly, even iMessage and FaceTime works so well. That said, i had some trouble fixing the boot0af error for days and SId bug. But once you pass through, it becomes so easy.

To fix boot0af error, you only need to download and extract boot1h. Copy it to your usb bootloader and start booting to Install OS X El Capitan.

- Open disk util. and write down your device disk info from hard drive and USB (ex. disk0s1)
- Unmount hard drive partition with OS X
- Open terminal and type:
cd /Volumes/"usb disk info"
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/"hdd disk info" bs=4096
- Close terminal and Restart.

I'll give my $0.02...

I have been using my *P45* chipset mobo (a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR) with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0/1333 and 16GB of DDR3-1333 RAM for YEARS, and it's been rock solid as my primary media server. I've had it on 10.9.5 for the longest time, waiting for the time when UniBeast would make the move to Clover and de-mystify that bizarrely complex thing. And then it happened!

... and then all this. I really want this to work so I can enjoy the benefits of a) Clover (iMessage, etc.) and b) El Capitan (Metal apps with my nVidia 660 Ti), and this would really be the OS I use until I retire this beast. But I'm worried that nobody will put in enough effort to get us legacy guys on board. I really want this to happen, because I've put so much into this system (I have a 500GB SSD and 5TB HD waiting to make a Fusion Drive too).

I made the UniBeast 6 USB stick, and got the thing to at least boot. But I can't get to the installer because of this "AppleUSBUCHIPCI" kernel panic, and can't figure out how to fix it.

I guess I'll keep running 10.9.5 until somebody comes up with a fix. I'll check this forum every day.

MB

Forgot to mention, I actually got my system to boot Yosemite using Clover's default config.plist, with "rootless=0" unchecked, a setting that was on by default for the various betas of El Cap that were coming out, as I understand it (As noted in my prior post, I didn't get anywhere with Tony's recommended config.plist files, for whatever reason). Beyond that I entered the suggest Rt Variable settings in Tony's El Cap guides and that's all I tweaked to get my legacy rig to boot into The Captain!

I'm hoping for a bit more mileage out of this hardware before another upgrade. Assuming Apple hasn't gone to ARM processors for their systems, I'll be waiting until the chips after skylake come out before another upgrade.

What I'm learn from this experience is Clover can successfully run a "legacy system." It's all about working out the kinks, and such.
I think the problem is more people run clover on newer hardware, thus making it harder to find information that matches our configurations.

My dream is for all this information to come together in one spot, and Tony/Mac Man can make the Clover experience as easy and simple as the Chimera experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back