Contribute
Register

Is Big Sur Public Beta1 Ready to be Primary System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you will find the official answer to your question:

Let's say that it is not like there is racing to grab the news, especially if we consider the difficulties and inconveniences to overcome, at least for this very first phase.

I copied the desktop folder and took it to Catalina, so from now on I have the new dynamic wallpapers in operation ...:lol::crazy:
Not interested in Apple's marketing spin, or the typical hype of "100's of new features", or "the best OS to date".

Most features over the last few releases have not been worth it to me, most of that stuff I just turn off.

I guess I should have posted the "what is the benefit to you" instead. :p

Not interested in Apple's marketing spin, or the typical hype of "100's of new features", or "the best OS to date".

Most features over the last few releases have not been worth it to me, most of that stuff I just turn off.

I guess I should have posted the "what is the benefit to you" instead. :p

The question was clear, and in fact the answer was aimed at being as exhaustive as possible, going beyond the fact of playing with something new, but also playing, having fun and getting curiosity have their meaning ...
For me it basically served to force me to study a bit the basics of Open Core, which is always an extra baggage of knowledge.
Then of course if I had found a situation similar to last year in trying the first beta of Catalina surely I would not have run away, as I have done at least for the moment ...

After playing around with this, I discovered that the "alternate" kext technology of getting optimized Radeon settings enabled, can work in Big Sur! This is the Radeon Boost kext described here. Unfortunately, the author removed support for my video card and it was later added back by another user. So I'm not sure if this will be supported in the future. Furthermore, the scores I am achieving with this are a hair under @mattystonnie 's SSDT.

Nevertheless, I think I am going to make the jump to Big Sur as my primary system!!! I don't so any critical work on my Mac OS, and even if I did, I made a clone of my Catalina system.

But I think I've ironed out the major bugs between my Catalina set up and my Big Sur set up, so off I go! Wish me luck everyone, and I'll see you on the other side.

Hopefully, when Big Sur has its first official release @mattystonnie will update his amazing SSDT and I can have my Vega working at its fullest potential.

There is nothing in Big Sur that I consider to be "must have" features.

And yet....

I'm tempted to move to it as my primary. So far, I've ironed out all the bugs except for the fact that mattystonnie's Radeon Performance SSDT doesn't work in Big Sur. But the only thing I am giving up without it is the glory of looking at the Geekbench scores. Operationally, I can't tell the difference with or without the SSDT in Catalina or Big Sur.

I'm not sure why I'm compelled. I think I am still in this euphoria where my new Hackintosh rig is the most like a real Mac than I have ever built before, thanks to this amazing community and people like CaseySJ, UtterDisbelief and pastrychef.

I find myself updating and testing just to see if I can finally break the rig.

I know, pretty twisted, right?

But then again, that's the spirit of Hackintoshing!

The only real way to test beta is to use it like it is the only option. As long as you have a back up you really do not need a second computer.

I agree: I'm just noticing the difference between how I actually used Catalina last year to how I have but I almost never start Big Sur this year.
Basically I'm not experiencing the Beta at all this year.

Yes, my memory's a bit wonky nowadays, but wasn't the whole point of "Whatevergreen" that it originally cured the pink/purple screen problem - and green was the opposite colour to the cast and so corrected it?

It will be interesting to see how many of these old GPUs are deprecated in the final version of Big Sur. Will the GT710 or 730 still be supported natively? The NVidia compatibility list might need revisiting.

:)

Honestly, I have no idea I used the Pike R black screen patch for as long as I can remember. I only just started using WEG because something was changed in Big Sur and the black screen patch no longer works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back