Graphics
Integrated/Onboard
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm thinking of buying an ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo UX581 model with the i9 processor.
Will I be able to install OSX on the device?

Hello,

I have bought this model too. Spent a week trying to install Mojave but could never make it past the boot process on the way to the install screen. In other words, I never made it to the install screen. I have been using Macs since 2007 and still have all my original macs but this laptop is pretty cool. I was hoping to be able to duel boot windows 10 and Mac OS X but had to take a break after a week of experimenting. I figured I would wait to see if anyone else tried to Hackintosh one of these.

Hi, Jespeed,

Can you check what’s the SSD in your UX581? If it is Samsung PM981 then it might be reason to fail in installation.

Hello Damu,

Thank you for responding. I have installed the 2 TB Samsung 970 Plus Evo and still failed installation.

Hi, jespeed,

Samsung Evo plus is also notorious for hackintosh. You can try upgrading Evo plus to latest firmware by Samsung Magician, I heard the update will solve the problem.
Good luck!

Thank you. I will check the firmware again to make sure it is the latest.

I have this model too (actually mine is the Core i7 model) as of this week. Would love to get Mac OS on it. Has anybody made progress?

Damu : I have checked on the Samsung EVO 970 Plus firmware and it was already the latest.

Osxten : Glad to hear that someone else has this laptop. How do you like it? I was putting it through its paces yesterday with windows 10 running as host and 3 windows 7 VMs running, plus another windows 10 VM running with some data collection software running in each VM and the host CPU was only at 40%. Pretty powerful laptop.
I would love to get OS X on this machine too but could never get to the actual install screen. Always got hung in the boot process. Very frustrating. Have you tried anything yet?

Have a good one.

Damu : I have checked on the Samsung EVO 970 Plus firmware and it was already the latest.

Osxten : Glad to hear that someone else has this laptop. How do you like it? I was putting it through its paces yesterday with windows 10 running as host and 3 windows 7 VMs running, plus another windows 10 VM running with some data collection software running in each VM and the host CPU was only at 40%. Pretty powerful laptop.
I would love to get OS X on this machine too but could never get to the actual install screen. Always got hung in the boot process. Very frustrating. Have you tried anything yet?

Have a good one.

I haven’t tried anything - mainly because the last time I turned a laptop into a hackintosh was 10 years ago. Since then I’ve just had a MacBook Air.
So far I’m a fan of the laptop. It’s large, but that second screen is actually very useful. It sometimes does seem a little buggy, like when I come out of sleep it throws all my second screen windows back to the primary display.

but the dream would be to dual boot this bad boy. or even run OS X on a VM, I don’t know if that’s been done - will have to do some googling.
I’m so immersed into the Apple ecosystem that I really want to be able to have some type of foothold into it with this laptop.

I have been using mac computers since 2007 also. I still have my original Mac Pro from 2008 and my MacBook Pro 17" from 2007. All still work. I still use my 2012 MacBookPro Retina.

I was also hoping to dual boot. I really like Mac OS X and would like to incorporate it into the ASUS laptop. I agree about the second screen. I have dual booted Linux and the second screen worked but none of the ASUS functionality worked. Also, the computer ran much hotter when booted into Linux. I did not use that for long.

I have not given up though. Just waiting for more of these to make it into the right hands.

Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back