Contribute
Register

Is anyone using a StarTech USB 3.1x5 port card (PEXUSB312EIC)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This card looks good - ASM1142 chipset, 2 USB type A, 1 USB type C and headers for 2 internal ports. It is powered by a SATA power cable. I am running High Sierra 10.13.5. Has anyone had success with this card on 10.13.5? Does the ASM1142 chipset always work or are there versions/configurations that don't work?

You can see the card here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I39D15A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

It would be great to have a card like this working, and powering the USB type A ports on the front of my case.

I installed the card and it works. My Hackintosh and my MacBook Pro get the same throughput speed on USB3.0 devices. Seems fairly stable. But, system information does not report any USB devices or PCIe devices that reference the new card. I used the internal USB 3.0 port to power the ports on the front of my case, so I have functioning USB 3.0 on front and back, plus a USB type C 3.1 port on the back.

Speeds are not impressive but that is more because of my devices than the card.

Old thread, but for future reference. Just bought and it seems to work, but could be causing some random restarts. Using current build in signature. Will do more testing before deciding if I should return it.

Old thread, but for future reference. Just bought and it seems to work, but could be causing some random restarts. Using current build in signature. Will do more testing before deciding if I should return it.
Did you return it?
For me it's working but it seems to cause problems sleep.. did you manage to solve it?

OK... Well, it didn't work in sleep. So I sold it bought an more expensive Sonnet Allegro which is more future proof for updates and works prefect in sleep!
Hope this helps anyone =)

+1 from me, the PEXUSB312EIC works but with it installed I got instant wake... At least on the H77 system I'm tinkering with.
If you look closely at the card, it has both the VL812 and the ASM1142 controllers.
I just threw an old Orico PFU3 card that has an FL1100 controller. Now I have no issues with sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back