Contribute
Register

Is an external USB enclosure likely to be recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
I've been looking at new cases for my recent Hackintosh build and I notice a lot of them no longer have external 5.25 bays. In fact, all the cases I like best do not include them. I do use my DVD-RW regularly so was thinking I could buy a USB enclosure to install it into and mount it under my desk.

Is this likely to cause issues in High Sierra or should it be recognized and work without issue?

Is this likely to cause issues in High Sierra or should it be recognized and work without issue?
If you buy a DVD drive that is macOS compatible it shouldn't be any problem. I've used ones from Samsung and LG that have worked with no problems.

Well I already have the drive (an LG) and it's working fine with my Hackintosh with no configuration, but it's doing so as an internal SATA drive. The new cases I am looking at are all devoid of a 5.25 bay so I am wondering if I put that same drive in an external USB 3.0 enclosure should it still work without issue? Would I need any drivers or anything?

It's very likely to work via USB too. Just give it a try.

Thanks. Someone was looking for a gift idea for me and it fit in their budget. Still a bit off so I'll have to wait. Just wondering if it would be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back