Contribute
Register

Iris 540 graphics in new MacBook pro. Will this support HD 530?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8P67-m Pro
CPU
intel i7-2600k
Graphics
ATI 5750
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but i can't find this exact question asked. I know support for Intel HD 530 graphics is currently limited (flickering, no wake from sleep), but I noticed that the new macbook pros with touch bar that just came out a few days ago use Intel Iris 540. I realize that Iris 540 is a higher performance GPU than the HD 530, but it is in the same family. As far as i know this is the first Apple product to use any sky lake graphics. Any chance a simple mod of the Iris drivers will make the HD 530 fully functional?

Edit: some new MBPs use intel HD 530! Supports may be possible now.

Last edited:
until we have the updated version of OS X in hand it will be almost impossible to know for sure.

dradis, Some of the new MacBook Pro's are still using the 530.

Last edited:
gotcha. I assumed that version was 10.12.1. I knew the 10.12.1 update by itself didn't fix HD530 graphics, but no one had mentioned modifying any new kexts. Maybe it'll be in 10.12.2.

Any idea if the 540 and 530 are that closely related, or is this just wishful thinking?

Not sure. We are thinking that when the new 15" Macbook Pro is released they'll release an update to coincide with it and that might contain fixes for the 530. We'll just have to wait and see. Have a look on Apple's site to see which ones since I don't recall which ones.

Not sure. We are thinking that when the new 15" Macbook Pro is released they'll release an update to coincide with it and that might contain fixes for the 530. We'll just have to wait and see.

Just did a quick search (not sure how i missed it before). According to apple the 15 inch late 2016 uses it. I assumed "late 2016" was the model that just came out a few days ago, but apparently not. searching for info on that model now...

Correction: the new touch bar models are the "late 2016".

Last edited:
Ok, i overlooked the obvious. The 13" model comes with only Intel Iris 540, but the 15" models come with a discrete AMD GPU and Intel HD 530. I'd say the outlook here is good.

Meaning we could finally use macOS on Microsoft Surface Pro 4!?

HD530 has been supported since 10.11.4 and with PikeRAlpha's recently published Clover patch the graphics glitches in Sierra have been fixed so it is working 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back