Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been reading up on the mods I can make and came up with an idea I don't even know will work.
I am going to remodel the inside of a DVD drive that I have right now to act as a hot swap for a 2.5" HDD. I was hunting around and found an IR proximity module that is made for the Arduino boards. I want to take the IR emitter and place it above the drive so it points throughout the case of the G5 up towards the handle. So that when you put your hand under the handle the drive will be triggered to eject.
For this to work I will have two SATA connections. One to the DVD drive to power the tray ejector motor and another to power and read write the HDD that will be inside. From my rudimentary understanding I think it would be possible to power the IR module and the two SATA connections and wire the eject wire to the data would of the IR module to trigger the DVD drive to eject.

I need help figuring out the electrical for this. Or I need someone to tell me I'm crazy and to stop dreaming. If anyone can help or has done this I would love to know what you think.

This is the module I have found at my store.
http://osepp.com/products/sensors-arduino-compatible/osepp-ir-proximity-sensor-module/

Hi tlittle,

I have tried to use two of the Arduino touch sensors as stand alone but haven't gotten them to work alone. I did end up buying an Arduino and been messing with that to incorporate into my thin mobo mod.

Your idea of using a drive tray as a HDD hot swap caddy isnt that far fetched but you know they make simple drives like that already? Unless you want the automatic sliding tray, which seems cool and I'd do the same thing as well lol. As for wiring there are Sata wiring guides easy to find on the web and possible to do. Keep in mind though that the wires in a Sata cable are super small and easy to break once out of the sheath/coating. You could also rewire the DVD drive to simple wires to plug into the molox connector on the PSU and not reuse the Sata cord for that part.

It sounds very doable and not that crazy complicated.

Don't know if this is OT or not, but another way of doing this would be to use a proximity switch behind the mesh. Probably a Cube switch would do it, or one from an old studio display, or one of the other alternative touch switches being discussed. Anyway, interested to see if you go through with this all the way. I got as far as taking apart a DVD drive and making a laptop drive fit enough to come through the eject door....but wasn't entirely happy with some of the hurdles in the way.

Issues that stopped me at the time were:
1. It didn't really seem much of a hot swap as the DVD tray needs to be powered to do the swap....and that only happens normally when the PC is on - work around: just use for data or find a way to standby power the drive;
2. Automatic disconnection and connection with the tray needs to be done with low force or the tray will stick - so regular any plug and socket arrangement needs to be accurate alignment and low force.
3. If you go for a manual disconnect instead of automatic it means you need cables that will extend/retract smoothly with the tray action and not get snagged (or just look terrible).

I am sure some/all of these issues can be worked around but it was at that point that I lost interest and went on to something else.

So, I wish you luck and I hope you'll post your results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back