1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently I have attempted to get my iPhone 6 and iPad 9.7 Pro connected to iTunes so that I can set up the WiFi sync. Devices are iOS 11.0 and 11.0.2, respectively. iTunes is 11.2.1 and MacOS is 10.9.4

However, I get this error message:

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. Could not send a message to the device.

The same message also comes up for the iPad. The green charging light comes on when both are plugged in, but there's an error message about the iPad not being charged. Behavior is the same on USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I remember reading some time ago about the charging current automatically being increased on native Apple machines when iPads are plugged in, so I'm assuming that generic PC hardware doesn't do this. iPhone charges with no issue.

Also, the Image Capture app wakes up and refers to the devices by the correct name. The DropBox app also wakes up. That seems to suggest that the devices are communicating on some level, but not completely.

Any thoughts about what is happening and how to fix it? Can I upgrade iTunes to the latest version as a native Apple machine would?

Thanks!

Recently I have attempted to get my iPhone 6 and iPad 9.7 Pro connected to iTunes so that I can set up the WiFi sync. Devices are iOS 11.0 and 11.0.2, respectively. iTunes is 11.2.1 and MacOS is 10.9.4

However, I get this error message:

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. Could not send a message to the device.

The same message also comes up for the iPad. The green charging light comes on when both are plugged in, but there's an error message about the iPad not being charged. Behavior is the same on USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I remember reading some time ago about the charging current automatically being increased on native Apple machines when iPads are plugged in, so I'm assuming that generic PC hardware doesn't do this. iPhone charges with no issue.

Also, the Image Capture app wakes up and refers to the devices by the correct name. The DropBox app also wakes up. That seems to suggest that the devices are communicating on some level, but not completely.

Any thoughts about what is happening and how to fix it? Can I upgrade iTunes to the latest version as a native Apple machine would?

Thanks!

The iPad 9.7 Pro is only supported by iTunes 12.3.3 or later, and the iPhone 6 is only supported by iTunes 12.0.1 or later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iTunes

And since you have already upgraded to iOS 11, you may require iTunes 12.6.3 or iTunes 12.7.2. The last version of iTunes supported on Mavericks 10.9.5 is 12.6.2, however.

I suggest you first update to Mavericks 10.9.5, and then download and install iTunes 12.6.2 to see if it will work. If not you may have to upgrade your OS X to at least Yosemite 10.10.5 and iTunes to 12.6.3 or 12.7.2 to regain access to your iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back