Contribute
Register

IOUSBFamily.kext panic while installing on GA-P55A-UD7

Status
Not open for further replies.
GeneralAntilles said:
Downloaded and burnt the 6/15/10 iBoot 2.0 ATI to a CD on one of my old G5s.
Set BIOS to optimized defaults, HPET 64-bit, AHCI, CDROM first boot device.
Placed iBoot ATI CD in drive, reboot.
Remove iBoot CD, place Retail 10.6.3 CD in drive, hit F5.
Boot from Retail CD.
Kernel panic after about 5 minutes of gray Apple.
Interesting thing, I noticed this same behavior with my first build this evening, and it turned out to be the ATI video board I was using. I thought it was a supported 4500, but this particular cheapo HIS ATI board just simply caused a panic with ATI or supported iboot. I noticed the same IOUSB errors on the screen when booting, but it turned out to have nothing to do with my issue. The panic for me was caused by a PCIe SLOT 1 error, and the text in verbose would freeze at the point of panic and just maybe 10 lines up from the system uptime message was the cause of the kernel panic. I just happened to have an nvidia 8600gt in my living room media center. I popped that into the system and had no trouble loading vanilla MacOS with iboot supported after that. I'm using the GA-P55A-UD3 with bios version F9, Core I5 750.

So, after some more poking, prodding and Googling, my conclusion is that it's actually a graphics card issue.

I've got one of these Asus EAH4870s that seems likely to be the culprit. Unfortunately I don't have extra cards lying around to test with, so I've ordered a new Sapphire 5770. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can follow to get the Asus card up and running in the mean time?

Edit: *facepalm* Completely missed the last page. Fingers crossed for the 5770 coming Wednesday. Will update the thread with all of the relevant information if I get it worked out so hopefully anybody else stumbling on this issue will run across it.

Thanks, magicmirror, for confirming my suspicions, and thanks to everybody else for their assistance! :)

Sorry for waking this old thread. I have exactly the same problem with Asus P5Q-E, and I am sure that is not video card, as I manage to install SL using before. But can not with IBoot and Retail 10.6.3 DVD...

Any tips for this older board and Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back