Contribute
Register

IOGear GBU521...won't find keyboard or trackpad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Perhaps you find my experiences with the IOGear GBU521 interesting.

I built my first Hackintosh (Gigabyte based) two months ago. Everything worked, except for Bluetooth. That is to say, it worked for Magic Trackpad and Apple Wireless keyboard. As soon as my Magic Mouse was trying to join the party, another bluetooth connection was lost. I have come to the conclusion that my old (10 yrs I think) Sweex dongle could only maintain two connections at the same time.
Further, wake from sleep was only possible by power button. Yes I followed the instructions for changing the bluetooth kext by adding device/manufacturer ID. Wake up via bluetooth became possible but not with much further joy, the connections became unstable this way.

Via Ebay I ordered an IOGear GBU521. I received it this morning. It is the one with only english texts on the package, no spanish.
This is what I did: remove my Sweex bluetooth dongle; remove com.apple.Bluetooth.plist from library/preferences; restarted 'Hack'; insert IOGear dongle. Luckily, 'About Mac' immediately reported the new USB dongle. After putting in new batteries (I think the Sweex had a better reception, it was much bigger to have room for longer antenna) in my Magic trackpad I could join every device simultaneously. Wake up from sleep via all bluetooth devices also works. I could not ask for more :headbang:

I'm running latest OSX 10.9.2 - Mavericks

I bought both GMYLE. After checking the write result.
If your IOGEAR can find but wont connect to your apple devices, please delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist, then reboot and now it pairs correctly and it's fully working again.

Not all Gmyles works perfect!

GMYLE (R) Micro USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode w/ Low Energy Technology Wireless Adapter (Broadcom BCM20702 chipset)
GMYLE_10m.png

GMYLE(R) Ultra-low power consumption USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Nano Dongle Wireless Adapter (100 Meters) LOSE ALL DEVICES AFTER REBOOT
GMYLE_100m.png

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)
IOGear.png

For reference to others "GBU512 in a USB 2.0 slot " fixed everything for me. Just put a 2.0 male-female between my 3.0 ports and all is good again if you have no 2.0 slots.

I just did a fresh install of 10.9 using a GA-H87N-WIFI motherboard and I couldn't get the IOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to work. I tried everything and got so frustrated I removed the Intel 7260HMW Mini PCI Express Adapter from the motherboard.

Bluetooth Explorer showed it as active and I figured the system was trying to use the 7260HMW instead of the GBU521

This fixed it and now my IOGEAR GBU521 works!!!!

All you have to do is remove the one screw holding in the 7260HMW and pop off the two antennas.

Thank you this is the fix that worked for me! Motherboard H370N, removed the wifi NCVi "m.2" card and Bluetooth started working with the IOGear GBU521.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back